• advertisement_alt

Random Thoughts About Food

56 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

my house smells good. i make and freeze my own chicken stock instead of buying the canned stuff. making a pot now to have for making soups the next few days!

tonight is oyster artichoke stew. tomorrow night is shrimp and corn bisque.

• advertisement_alt

Posted · Report post

i love taco bell. i dont get bad side effects from it like a lot of people do. i guess i have a cast iron stomach.

and i think we are supposed to have a cold snap (and maybe a long one). bring on the soups, stews, and gumbos!

Posted · Report post

I'm ok with it, just been having a craving for that but haven't been able to get one on a cheat day yet. Damn work interferring with scheduling!

We about to have a cold snap here, but will prolly only be for a couple days to break up this 80+ degree crap in November.

Posted · Report post

my house smells good. i make and freeze my own chicken stock instead of buying the canned stuff. making a pot now to have for making soups the next few days!

tonight is oyster artichoke stew. tomorrow night is shrimp and corn bisque.

Maybe you would "grace" our "recipe topic" with a recipe?

Glad your house smells good too!!!

Posted · Report post

Guess I'll be having Taco Bell for supper tonight.

I made gumbo saturday night and still have some left over. Nothing like gumbo the days after you make it. It always tastes better that second day. why is that?

Posted · Report post

The flavor molecules diffuse into the stock making a more uniform taste. The flavors blend together that way.

Posted · Report post

The flavor molecules diffuse into the stock making a more uniform taste. The flavors blend together that way.

I don't get it, but it works. :D

Posted · Report post

Maybe you would "grace" our "recipe topic" with a recipe?

Glad your house smells good too!!!

we have a recipe topic? where? did i miss it? i dont have a true recipe, i just kinda make the oyster artichoke. i think i can kinda measure the ingredients in my mind tho. point me to where to post it and i will.

Posted · Report post

we have a recipe topic? where? did i miss it? i dont have a true recipe, i just kinda make the oyster artichoke. i think i can kinda measure the ingredients in my mind tho. point me to where to post it and i will.

It is now pinned in The Roux Forum so everyone can find it easily.

Posted · Report post

making french bread today. was hungry for a good loaf.

right now at the sponge making step. stay tuned...

Posted · Report post

A burrito is actually not a traditional Mexican food. They are a form of a traditional Mexican taco, made into a burrito in the US and introduced into Mexico as a road side dish, despite what Wiki says.

Now you kneaux.

Posted · Report post

burrito

mmmm.... burrito!

got the bread kneaded, and it is rising now. the waiting begins, but will be well worth the wait.

Posted · Report post

I've always been intimidated by the idea of making bread. I don't know why. Maybe because it takes a lot of time.

Most of the recipes I've seen have been fairly simple. Maybe one weekend when life slows down, I'll try a no-knead focaccia recipe I found.

Oh, and explain sponge making step. What the heck is that?

Posted · Report post

looking forward to getting home today because I put a pot roast in the crock pot before I left with a bunch of veggies, my house is going to smell great! I love that!

On another random note, I am not impressed with my food selections around my new office but I did see a taco bell and after reading this, I think I need to go there for lunch!

Posted · Report post

looking forward to getting home today because I put a pot roast in the crock pot before I left with a bunch of veggies, my house is going to smell great! I love that!

That's the BEST! I always feel sorry for my dog when I cook in the crock pot because I bet the smell drives her crazy all day.

Posted · Report post

That's the BEST! I always feel sorry for my dog when I cook in the crock pot because I bet the smell drives her crazy all day.

Opps! I didn't even think of poor Rocco! Oh well!

About to try a Dorito Taco, sounds horrible but wonderful at the same time!

Posted (edited) · Report post

Oh, and explain sponge making step. What the heck is that?

traditionally, a sponge is the yeast/flour/water mixture, allowed to sit and make a sponge like dough that is the starter for the bread. as in sourdough. that takes a several hours or a day to make. in this case, it is beating the water/yeast/part of the flour together until it pulls away from the side of the bowl in a sponge like consistency. this really works the gluton in the flour with the already active yeast. after that you add the rest of the flour and knead.

i am not sure all the particulars of why, i just know when making french bread, or sour dough bread, i always make a sponge.

maybe steve can tell us more. and correct me on where i might be wrong. :D

Edited by OkieTigerTK

Posted · Report post

traditionally, a sponge is the yeast/flour/water mixture,

Ohhhh, I'd never heard it called a sponge before! There's my something new I've learned today! :D

Posted · Report post

casey, if you have a good mixer with a dough hook, bread is actually quite easy. just time consuming. i have been told that i "cheat" because i dont knead by hand (you can feel the elasticity of the dough better) but i just cant. i have had arthritis in my hand since i was a teenager, and have just never had the strength. throw in all the wrist hand surgeries of the last few years, and forget it!

to show what a kitchen/cooking/baking nerd i am...

my kitchen aid mixer is 25 years old. i got it when i was in college. i was a poor college student that struggled to make ends meet since i paid my own way, but by god, i had a top notch mixer! :D

i have loved cooking/baking/candy making since i was a kid. i was in fourth grade when given my first cookbook of my very own, instead of using one of my mom's. my aunt gave me a cookies and candies cookbook.

unfortunately, during the winter months, i dont get to spend as much time in the kitchen as i would like, because the business (and my lsu football trips) consume my life! but when the business is in it's slow season, like now, i go hog wild cooking and baking! it's killing me that i gave up sweets for lent, because i would love to make a good, from scratch, cake!

Posted · Report post

I have a food processor with a dough attachment, although I know that isn't the same as a mixer with a dough hook. I may ask for a fancy schmancy mixer for Christmas this year. I think with all the baking I do, it would be worth it.

Okie, can I put in a request for a from-scratch carrot cake for the baseball tailgate? :D I'll even let you use my oven! Haha!

Posted · Report post

I am quite positive that I don't need to eat Taco Bell again this afternoon for lunch, which leaves me pizza or steak n shake...not really feeling either one!