• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
OkieTigerTK

Random Thoughts About Food

109 posts in this topic

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I have a food processor with a dough attachment, although I know that isn't the same as a mixer with a dough hook. I may ask for a fancy schmancy mixer for Christmas this year. I think with all the baking I do, it would be worth it.

Okie, can I put in a request for a from-scratch carrot cake for the baseball tailgate? :D I'll even let you use my oven! Haha!

Casey- I use this recipe and it's the best carrot cake I have ever eaten. Everyone who eats it agrees. I get requests for it. It is very moist. I don't add the raisins but if you like them go for it.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/carrot-and-pineapple-cake-recipe/index.html

making yogurt again today. but my timing sucks. it will be ready to take out of the incubator during the game this evening. i hope i dont have a blonde moment and forget when i stall till between innings.

Have been on a low carb diet which means lots of proteins. Loving the grilled fish: tuna, salmon, talapia and grouper (its so f'ng expensive!). What other fish go well on the grill :smiley-confused005:

topic rise from the dead.

making yogurt again today.  i make two different types, depending on how early i get up, or how much time i have before i go to bed.  one type is a 4 hour incubation so i can do it even in the middle of the day.  the good stuff, that is more like a greek or middle eastern yogurt, thick, creamy, and more like a sour cream consistency, takes 12 hours to incubate.  so i have to get up early to get it ready for the incubator all day, or right before bed and take it out the next morning.  got this one on this morning to take out and put in the fridge at bedtime.  that means i can eat it tomorrow.  

i am craving a yogurt based salad.  lots of fresh chopped dill from the garden, and chopped small cucumbers, with a bit of olive oil stirred in.  delish.  

or fresh berries and a bit of honey stirred in for breakfast.  but none of that fake sugary [poop] that you get at the grocery!

I've on this chinese kick right now, and I've gotten to where I like to eat it with chop sticks.  So, here in Ohio, I found a good place, and they deliver to my hotel.  When I call in my order, I specify that I would like chop sticks delivered with the meal, and they always say OK.  But they've yet to bring them.  In fact, it comes with the smallest plastic fork I've ever seen.  I'm at a really nice hotel, but it's not an extended stay setup, and I have no dishes/utensils.  Pissing me off...

Just thought I would share that random thought about food, and the moral of the story is, chinese food tastes better eaten with chop sticks, and customer service typically sucks when ordering take out. :)

customer service typically sucks when ordering take out. :)

Sort of like the drive-thru. "They F*** you at the drive thru" ( Joe Pesci's famous line from "Lethal Weapon")

topic rise from the dead.

making yogurt again today.  i make two different types, depending on how early i get up, or how much time i have before i go to bed.  one type is a 4 hour incubation so i can do it even in the middle of the day.  the good stuff, that is more like a greek or middle eastern yogurt, thick, creamy, and more like a sour cream consistency, takes 12 hours to incubate.  so i have to get up early to get it ready for the incubator all day, or right before bed and take it out the next morning.  got this one on this morning to take out and put in the fridge at bedtime.  that means i can eat it tomorrow.  

i am craving a yogurt based salad.  lots of fresh chopped dill from the garden, and chopped small cucumbers, with a bit of olive oil stirred in.  delish.  

or fresh berries and a bit of honey stirred in for breakfast.  but none of that fake sugary [poop] that you get at the grocery!

I only buy Fage greek now.

I only buy Fage greek now.

i looked up the cultures for fage and it has all but one of the ones i make in this particular yogurt.

if anyone is lactose intolerant, or doesnt like yogurt, i also add a probiotic powder to my protein smoothies.  it has three strains of the probiotics found in yogurt, but in a concentrated powder form.  it has to be kept refrigerated, but only 1/8 a teaspoon is all it takes for one smoothie, so a small bottle lasts a long time.

Our latest kick with my best friend and her kids is hibachi.  We found a new place we love, it is called "Kim's" off Hwy 22 in Mandeville.  The kids love to catch the egg in their mouths as well as teh food show.  We've gone twice in the past five days, absolutely love it.

So last night one of my friends invited me to come over to pick some figs.  I got another bucket full.  I asked her what variety they were since they were different than the ones I had gotten last weekend.  She said they were Celeste but I was skeptical since these were huge and purple with gold flesh.  So I looked up fig varieties and am pretty sure she has LSU Purple figs

http://www.southernliving.com/home-garden/gardens/fig-fruit-varieties/lsu-purple-fig-type

So I got LSU figs in Aggieland.  LOL