Greg

Tigalaya BCS NCG Tailgate - It's goin down!

Some of us have been discussing possibilities of doing a tailgate/watch party for the game. Since the game is on ESPN, we would need a satellite for the broadcast. We can provide a tripod and mobile dish setup for either Directv or Dish network. However, we are in of need with someone with an extra HD receiver (with an active subscription to HD services) for either satellite service to loan it to us. We would need it asap to test on site ahead of time and would return it during the week after the game. If you can help in any way then please let me know.

Dang Greg, I feel bad that nobody's posted. I can't help other that what I offered last week, but I just wanted to post in your thread. :)

We have plenty of time. Somehow we will end up having an amazing tailgate experience. We always do!

I may be able to get a direct tv satelite and box...will this help?

Of course, if it has active service and is HD!

I thought my parents had two at their house, but they only have one HD receiver. And I think he'd sell me, my siblings, and all of his grandchildren into slavery before he goes without TV the day of the game. Sorry. I'll keep an eye out for other possible options.

Of course we could buy a receiver and add it to someone's account to activate.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Directv-H24-Receiver-DirecTVs-Newest-HD-Receiver-NEW-Shipd-24-Business-Hrs-/230712634951?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35b78b6e47

I am thinking since none of us are getting tickets and spending money, then we could certainly each chip in ten bucks or so towards a receiver and a mobile satellite dish for it. Here's a mobile dish setup:

http://installeroasis.com/directv-kaku-hdtv-5-lnbf-satellite-dish-tripod-kit-c-43-p-1-pr-124.html

So basically between all of us we would come up with around two hundred bucks.

Note: I am assuming it is OK to run the second receiver on the second dish at a remote location. Guess I need an expert to check that.

Note: I am assuming it is OK to run the second receiver on the second dish at a remote location. Guess I need an expert to check that.

This can definitely be done with DirecTV. My father in law lives about 20 minutes from me, but has a receiver on my account.

I'll be in NOLA for the game, but dunno what my plans will be yet. If you are planning to buy a whole bunch of stuff, wouldn't it maybe be better to just rent out a room in a bar or something?

I'll be in NOLA for the game, but dunno what my plans will be yet. If you are planning to buy a whole bunch of stuff, wouldn't it maybe be better to just rent out a room in a bar or something?

Last place I want to be is in a bar. But that's me. For starters, cigarette smoke is pretty much an instant migrane. And I doubt we rent out any place for that game for a couple hundred bucks.

By the way, the tailgate will have heat too. :D

This can definitely be done with DirecTV. My father in law lives about 20 minutes from me, but has a receiver on my account.

That's great to know. How easy is it to activate a receiver then deactivate it after a month or two?

That's great to know. How easy is it to activate a receiver then deactivate it after a month or two?

activating is easy.

problem is deactivating.

not sure how it's gonna work with one purchased off of e-bay.

but DirecTV demands you ship deactivated receivers back to them (even if you bought the receiver at a store like Best Buy)

if you don't send it back, they charge you for it.

this would be the reason I don't have an extra receiver.

I dont know if this helps, but at our xmas party tonite, I asked one of the docs who tailgates here in Aggieland how they set it up. They bring their box from home. Said you need to program the zipcode into it but they just disconnect the one they already have and bring it. They bought a DirecTV dish and pole and set it up every home game with their home box.

Of course we could buy a receiver and add it to someone's account to activate.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Directv-H24-Receiver-DirecTVs-Newest-HD-Receiver-NEW-Shipd-24-Business-Hrs-/230712634951?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35b78b6e47

I am thinking since none of us are getting tickets and spending money, then we could certainly each chip in ten bucks or so towards a receiver and a mobile satellite dish for it. Here's a mobile dish setup:

http://installeroasis.com/directv-kaku-hdtv-5-lnbf-satellite-dish-tripod-kit-c-43-p-1-pr-124.html

So basically between all of us we would come up with around two hundred bucks.

Buying receivers on eBay is a shady business. DirecTV's business model is that the receivers are rented, even if you pay an upfront cost for them. They expect to receive the receivers back when someone cancels. Most likely that receiver contains a card that used to be attached to someone's account and DirecTV will refuse to activate it and demand it back and you'll be out whatever it cost.

The account info is all tied to the card and serial number of the box. The dish is just an antenna, it has no intelligence.

The account info is all tied to the card and serial number of the box. The dish is just an antenna, it has no intelligence.

I'm surprised you were smart enough to figure that out !!! :smiley-shocked003:

I'm surprised you were smart enough to figure that out !!! :smiley-shocked003:

Steve, how's it looking for the potential tailgate spot?

waiting to hear from My B-I-L..I'll call him today.

I think we can get the satellite to work there. Nothing a hundred foot of cable can't solve. :D But really, that building is not due south as I thought. We should be able to get it going.

That's what I always thought....I worked at that hotel for over a year and never thought it couldn't be done.

Just my personality I guess....I never say something can't be done. In fact, I usually smile when someone tells me that. I like it when I succeed , and when I go down, I go down swinging.

I never would have owned my own business, or pulled off that fundraiser in WV, or even had a family if I thought it couldn't be done.

(now watch the TV not work :smiley-scared008: )

Jared just told me he's down for tailgating with you guys IF I can get the days off approved! I have completely converted the man! He wants to drive 5 hours to tailgate at a game he doesn't even have tickets to, lol!