OkieTigerTK

Have You Ever Left a Game Early?

why or why not?

as a rule, i dont. i travel so damned far for games, i want to get every minute of a game.

the troy 08 game? in the top three of coldest games ever for me. anywhere. including ones with snow or sleet here in oklahoma. the north wind was brutal and cut right through you. but i stayed. even though i was nearly back to the hotel in nola (where we were staying because greenie went to one of his games so we both flew that trip) before my feet did not hurt from being so cold. and i thought i was bundled up. turns out not nearly enough. but i was gonna be my money's worth for the ticket!

however, i will confess. i left early one game of the 2010 season. the ulm homecoming game. it was two weeks after my (latest) thumb reconstruction and like an idiot i drove. i was so sick from the pain that day that i had to lay down in my truck and missed all of the homecoming parade. i made it through as much of the game as i could, but had to leave at the beginning of the fourth quarter. i looked so bad from being in so much pain my friends around me were urging me to go. and i did. on a side note, that is the only drive home i literally thought i was not gonna make it home. hopefully, the football gods will give me a pass on that one.

so how about you? stay till the bitter end, win or lose? ever tip toe out early to beat traffic?

App St. '08

10am start.

had my wife and kids, and a weeks worth of luggage (we was evacuating for Gustav).

it was HOT.

i don't know what the temp was, but I don't ever remembering being that hot at a game ever in my life.

any sport. not even when playing softball tourney's in dead of summer.

we were buying them expensive ass Tiger waters to dump over my kids heads.

up big in 2nd half, wife was complaining, kids was complaining, and I was running out of cash (seriously, why can't they run debt cards at concesion stand in Tiger Stadium yet?)

we left. couldn't take it any more.

to give you an idea how bad it was, that is the ONLY game I have ever left early due to weather.

bitter cold. driving rains, windy, you name it.I've always stayed til the end.

I stayed til the end of the Troy game later that same season which is probably the coldest I've ever been in that Stadium.

and i HATE being cold.

i've always said i'd rather sweat than freeze.

still feel that way.

but that App St. game broke my spirit.

it was brutal.

interesting that the hottest game I ever attended and the coldest game I ever attended were the same damn season.

worst case of leaving early I ever saw was for UGA in '03.

dude that sat by us back then knew nothing about football (he even admitted that much).

but his wife worked at LSU, and they scored GREAT seats as season tickets.

anyway, UGA ties game late on that 93 yd screen pass.

Devery returns ensuing kick to midfield.

this dude gets up, says "well i'm gonna get out before the mad rush."

i responded "you serious? you really leaving"

him "yep, i'll never get out if i wait til the end"

and he left.

missed one of the biggest moments in recent memory in that Stadium.

i've never seen anything like it before or since.

I've left games early. I don't really think it's a big deal if it's a blowout in either direction.

I've heard of people that leave early no matter how close a game is, not just at LSU but everywhere.

interesting that the hottest game I ever attended and the coldest game I ever attended were the same damn season.

that game was brutally hot! the sunburn i had made the drive back to oklahoma in evacuation traffic miserable.

I never left any LSU game of any kind early...not even the 77-0 Rice game.

I don't think I ever left any sporting event early...not even when I was a kid with my dad

Most of the games I go to recently have been Texans pre-season, so we leave early in the 4th quarter. A friend splits a pair of season tickets with his brother, and he likes to miss the traffic. It's pre-season, so no biggie to me.

We left that Troy game at halftime. It's the only game I have ever left early. Game was awful and we were not dressed properly for the wind/cold.

worst case of leaving early I ever saw was for UGA in '03.

worst case i have ever seen is also the worst negatiger i have ever seen. (in person.) the jackass that sits at the end of my row got up and half time of the very first game last year and literally stomped out, bitching "i have seen enough of this [censored]" as he did so. i sat there with my mouth hanging open.

this was the same [censored] i almost got into a brawl with this year for his booing and nasty remarks. i will be good money right now he will boo clm as the team takes the field first home game.

I as a rule don't leave an LSU game early. My son would disown me if I tried. There are however legitimate reasons to do so. Greg's reason for the Troy game comes to mind. That was as cold as I've ever been in Tiger Stadium and the closest I've come to leaving early. Friend of mine had her two daughters at the NC game and were surrounded by @sshole Bama fans who were directing alot of shyt at them. They left in the 4th and who could blame them. However, its the alleged fan who leaves when the team is losing like he or she is somehow personally offended that the team isn't up to their expectations. I know you buy the ticket and you can do whatever you want. Jack@sses like that are such bandwagoners and most of them wonder why a football team has a center, two guards but no forwards. We have a guy in our section who waves at them and usually says, "don't leave mad, just leave."

Edited by Hatchertiger

We have a guy in our section who waves at them and usually says, "don't leave mad, just leave."

i need to remember that one. :D

I did leave this last year's Ole Piss game early because I ate a bad hamburger. Yeah, we'll go with that.

I did leave this last year's Ole Piss game early because I ate a bad hamburger. Yeah, we'll go with that.

you probably should have washed it down with something.

you probably should have washed it down with something.

I shouldn't have gotten it to start with.

During the time when I would go a couple years without being able to get to an LSU game, no way would I leave early. Visits were too infrequent. But I'll admit this season I did it several times to beat traffic, always when we were blowing someone out. But of course I'd never leave early if it was close. And I was glad to stay until well after the end of the Arkansas game to enjoy the 12-0 celebration.

I guess it's easier to not feel bad about leaving early when student tickets are $12. If I was paying $70 per game plus the TAF "donation," I'd stay the whole time then probably go around afterward to try and find some freebies the drunks left behind.

I have a friend who has a good story about leaving early. He went to the Ole Piss game and sat in great, low seats near the 50. An older pair of guys sat down right in front of him. When Ron Brooks had his pick six on the third play, they immediately got up and left. They lasted for maybe 20 seconds of game clock before leaving. :smiley-laughing001:

The only time I left a game early, it was because SHE was HOT. :smiley-ashamed002:

Winner, winner chicken dinner. As a freshman, I left every home game early. :rofl:

I don't go to the games very often. Not big on huge crowds that don't watch the game or are too drunk to do much but yell. However, I have left them before when the win is certain.

until i was about 24, i left one game early which i think at the time was Ole Piss beating us in '99. deuce and joe gunn killed us that night.

then i was in a bad place emotionally (not football related) when LSU played UAB under saban (yeah that game). i actually knew we were going to lose that game at halftime so i left then. i pulled into my driveway just in time to hear UAB kick the game winner. that night sucked.

actually scratch that, i was dating a girl in college and we left a game fighting in the 90's. i think it was a day game vs AU and AU kicked the crap out of us. it's possible that was the beginning of our breakup.

somewhere through the aging and tailgating process, staying till the end of a game became less important but i'm mostly talking about us destroying or getting destroyed by other teams.

i can tell you that i definitely would've left troy early if i went.

i have all the respect in the world for those who go and stay till the very end but i no longer measure my fanhood by it like i used to.

i have all the respect in the world for those who go and stay till the very end but i no longer measure my fanhood by it like i used to.

maybe for me it means truly making that drive (which is getting more and more difficult) worth it. so much effort goes into me going to a game, i am gonna get every minute if at all possible.

maybe for me it means truly making that drive (which is getting more and more difficult) worth it. so much effort goes into me going to a game, i am gonna get every minute if at all possible.

I certainly don't have the drive that you do, mine is about an hour to get home. Because of where I park, its not a nightmare to get to the interstate. It really doesn't make much sense to leave early from my perspectiv, I still have to drive an hour regardless. I'm getting home late, thats not going to change. However, I simply enjoy staying until the bitter end either way. I guess if you live in Baton Rouge you could leave early and still be home at a reasonable hour. I'm ready for next season, can't wait.

I only leave early when the game is a lock, but not every time. Early being beginning of the 4th quarter at the absolute earliest. It's usually because I don't feel like sitting in traffic until 2am after a night game.

I have to tell you Okie.....being from Oklahoma, I didn't think you were as soft as most southerners when it came to weather. That Troy game was played on November 15th, 2008. The temperature was 50 degrees at kickoff, with light wind....and dropped to 44 degrees by game's end...with moderate wind. That's like a nice, spring day! Come Okie! Toughen up!

http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KBTR/2008/11/15/DailyHistory.html?req_city=Baton+Rouge&req_state=LA&req_statename=Louisiana