Sign in to follow this  
lsubatgirl

Blog Entry: Heads Up Parenting

l love my miniature social experiments. That is, the 45 ten-year-olds I teach every day. In my profession I'm often hit with the reality and struggles of parenting at work, more so than at home with my toddler. Just this week I learned that one of my student's father is on his death bed, one...

View the full article

I have a very good friend that teaches Jr high. You are spot on with what is happening now days. Where are our responsible parents? Even the so called good parents never check their childs homework. They just send them to their room to play video games.

Batty, I admire you for the job and sacrifices that you make daily, but there is nothing that even the best of our teachers can do if it doesnt start at home. Sad that we have let out country come to this.

Those are just a few highlights of my week. Let's just say I'm glad it's Friday. But there are obvious perks to the job as well, work hours, holidays, summer and getting to act like a kid on occasion certainly help!

You are right that our country is headed in a downward spiral when it comes to education. Colleges are lowering their admission requirements, every year we have a new curriculum directive, students are only given a week or two to master skills and teachers have much more than teaching to focus on.

Those are just a few highlights of my week. Let's just say I'm glad it's Friday. But there are obvious perks to the job as well, work hours, holidays, summer and getting to act like a kid on occasion certainly help!

You are right that our country is headed in a downward spiral when it comes to education. Colleges are lowering their admission requirements, every year we have a new curriculum directive, students are only given a week or two to master skills and teachers have much more than teaching to focus on.

several states just got an exemption from nclb. thank god oklahoma was one. the testing does not measure actual success and improvement. just standardized testing and standardized scores. rote memorization, not learning creative thinking and problem solving. but even on just the testing, low performing/low income schools that were beating the odds of the problems by hunger, no parenting, all the things you mentioned, and were at least improving scores, were in danger of getting shut down, because they didnt meet "the score". in schools like that, improvement at any pace is a success and you build on it, not punish it. when you are battling things that go on outside the classroom, it is absurd to expect perfection overnight.

As far as I can tell with some of the youth I deal with (after speaking with their parents), it seems that public school is just free daycare.

More and more, responsible parents are turning to Home Schooling, it seems.

which is their right, and i can understand, especially in some areas more than others. but, unfortunately, it is abandoning the schools to the kids with parents who dont give a crap. instead of responsible and involved parents, who show up for pta, who go to school board meetings, who volunteer for class activities, the schools are left with the parents who would rather be home watching jerry springer while downing a bottle of jack. i understand the immediate individual need for the good parents to do so, but the long term over-all effect is gonna be worse for public education.

I can understand the homeschooling aspect, but I knew some home-schooled kids when I was in middle and high school. They had no social skills. As long as they have an outlet to be social, which is almost impossible not to in California, or bigger cities, then I really think it's a no-brainer if you can afford to have one person working in the household. Unfortunately for us, when we have kids, we'll both have to work and that option will probably be out of the window. But, I can speak from personal experiences, if you have a good set of parents with discipline, then you'll more than likely have very little problems with your kids.

Homeschooling is very popular here because the city schools are low performing and the private schools are very expensive. We also have a great deal of military families who choose to homeschool instead of switching schools every few years. One of the newest trends I've noticed is that of exceptional certified teachers homeschooling. They believe they can give their child a quality education and, truthfully, they are not missing much in the salary dept. Schools are not oly losing great students and parents but some womderful teachers as well. Think about it, I take home less now with a masters degree than I did before working for a non-profit and only a bachelors.

Homeschooling is very popular here because the city schools are low performing and the private schools are very expensive. We also have a great deal of military families who choose to homeschool instead of switching schools every few years. One of the newest trends I've noticed is that of exceptional certified teachers homeschooling. They believe they can give their child a quality education and, truthfully, they are not missing much in the salary dept. Schools are not oly losing great students and parents but some womderful teachers as well. Think about it, I take home less now with a masters degree than I did before working for a non-profit and only a bachelors.

When I was in high school there were several kids, a group of about 12 I think, that were being taught by a teacher that was charging to run a "day care" for high school kids. They were being taught the material in the comfort of someone's home.

i think the younger kids need schooling outside the home, whether it be public or private, at least for a while.

they need to be socialized as puppies.

i think the younger kids need schooling outside the home, whether it be public or private, at least for a while.

they need to be socialized as puppies.

If it were not for the opportunity to interact with other kids there is no way I would allow my son to set foot in a school. Schools often complain about parents who do not care; until they find out how expensive it is dealing with one that does.

This is true, d. It is a two way street. Schools and teachers are not infallible. When they do wrong a good parent must also do their duty of protecting their children. And when that happens, hopefully lessons can be learned that will improve the system as a whole.