ESPN 150

17 replies to this topic

#1 SonnyLoco

Eddie Kennison

• 126 posts
  • 10 topics
  • LocationMiddle of the BOOT

Posted 08 July 2012 - 07:24 PM

Half sarcasm, half serious....what is the deal with ESPN 150? Do you have to be committed or thinking of committing to Michigan, Bama, or USC to be on this list?

Watching "The Opening" on ESPNU right now and LSU isn't even in the mix with ESPN 150 top teams. YET...it appears that we have one of the better classes in the nation. Heck....2 or 3 more guys that are already leaning this way could make it the #1 in Rivals bama friendly ranking system.

Not just wanting to rant here....so does anyone have any knowledge of how they pick this list? And the actual success rating of these players versus guys like we are getting that aren't on the list?

I'm just all high on our class so far, and then see all of these teams and NO LSU on the rating for recruits according to ESPN 150 and I am wondering why? Are we sipping Kool AId...or is ESPN 150 not knowing what flavor it is?

It should be noted that I didn't see that many Louisiana guys (5?) on the list either...and we have 2 on there that are not committed yet and may come here in Williams and Beckwith.

#2 SabanFan

Laron Landry

• 2,431 posts
  • 31 topics
  • LocationPont Breaux

Posted 08 July 2012 - 07:32 PM

ESPN 150 is compiled by a bunch of yankees.

#3 Fishhead

Redfish Population Control Officer

• 14,195 posts
  • 887 topics
  • LocationLandmass

Posted 08 July 2012 - 07:38 PM

To be honest, our class is extremely good, but it's good because of the number of strong 4* players, not a couple of 5* players and a few 3s and 4s.

If you look at rivals, most of the teams in the top 10 have at least one 5*. Some have as many as 3! We have zero. Yet this class is rated #3, even with other teams having more commits. We have one of the better avg star ratings on rivals.

As for ESPN, I don't even watch the channel unless it's CFB season and they're playing a game I wanna watch. I sure lend no credence to their recruiting expertise. But FWIW, they were the service that rated LSUs class #1 in 2009 with Randle, Shep, et al.

#4 SonnyLoco

Eddie Kennison

• 126 posts
  • 10 topics
  • LocationMiddle of the BOOT

Posted 08 July 2012 - 07:45 PM

I need to look no further than Fish and SabanFan. Thanks guys!

#5 Fishhead

• 14,195 posts
  • 887 topics
  • LocationLandmass

Posted 08 July 2012 - 09:06 PM

I need to look no further than Fish and SabanFan. Thanks guys!

GeauxTigs and Hatcher, along with LSUDad, are the experts in recruiting here. When Gino isn't around...which he SHOULD BE MORE OFTEN. :)

#6 AWolf02

Geaux Tigers!

• 256 posts
  • 20 topics

Posted 10 July 2012 - 11:09 AM

ESPN 150 has always been a Bama, Michigan or Texas lovefest. Look no further than texas 5* QB Swoopes. He has no business being a 5* QB and maybe not even a 4*. But since he is committed to Texas he will be and will be in the 150. He threw 4 picks in 6 possessions. Should have had 5 but the WR turned DB to save a pick 6. Yes he is dubbed a dual-threat guy but throwing like that it is complete crap. I've seen him play a couple of times and he can run great maybe better than VY but he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn and always looks to run after 2 or 3 seconds.

#7 Stevescookin

Stephen Peterman

• 5,478 posts
  • 170 topics
  • LocationChilly Gentilly !!!!!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 12:16 PM

I agree with AWolf...ESPN is not objective...they're into hype.

#8 Hatchertiger

Don't Tread On Me

• 13,439 posts
  • 1,106 topics
  • LocationLafayette, LA

Posted 10 July 2012 - 12:27 PM

I agree with AWolf...ESPN is not objective...they're into hype.

Hype = $$$$$ and that's what their objective is. ESPN really doesn't care if it's "right " as long as it makes money.

#9 dachsie

LA gal in TX

• 6,045 posts
  • 288 topics
  • LocationCollege Station, TX

Posted 10 July 2012 - 01:02 PM

Hype = $$$$$ and that's what their objective is. ESPN really doesn't care if it's "right " as long as it makes money.

Which is one reason we played Alabama in Jan

#10 Fishhead

• 14,195 posts
  • 887 topics
  • LocationLandmass

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:54 PM

The other reason is because they were the only team worthy of being on the same field as us, but yeah...

:)

#11 Geauxtigs

Geauxtigs

• 882 posts
  • 105 topics
  • LocationThe Calcasieu Swamp

Posted 11 July 2012 - 06:54 PM

:OLDSKULE: Exactly.

#12 Herb

Anti-technology Technologist

• 2,986 posts
  • 202 topics
  • LocationAnnapolis, MD

Posted 12 July 2012 - 04:59 AM

Agreed.

Unfortunately, the number one role of journalists is to sell ads. Reporting truth will always take a back seat to that. Look no further than the way the weather is reported on the local news.

Up here in the winter we'll often get a "teaser" where the weatherman will say stupid chit like "We COULD get up to 24 inches of snow tomorrow! Details later in the newscast." So...you stick around through about 5 commercial breaks for the weather to roll around only to fine that the only way in hell se get that much snow is if Lex Luther escapes from jail and unleashes his ice age machine on the city.

In reality, you wake up the next day to nothing more than a dusting.

#13 Stevescookin

Stephen Peterman

• 5,478 posts
  • 170 topics
  • LocationChilly Gentilly !!!!!

Posted 12 July 2012 - 07:11 AM

Lies....Hype......and Speculation !!!

Lies = news
Hype = sports
Speculation = the weather

:bash:

#14 AWolf02

Geaux Tigers!

• 256 posts
  • 20 topics

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:58 AM

Here's a surprise. In the new ESPN 300 rankings Swoopes dropped 85 spots to #100. How is a 5* QB gonna be ranked 100.

#15 cadillacattack

Eddie Furniss

• 253 posts
  • 18 topics
  • LocationAlpharetta, GA

Posted 12 July 2012 - 02:51 PM

Agreed.

Unfortunately, the number one role of journalists is to sell ads. Reporting truth will always take a back seat to that. Look no further than the way the weather is reported on the local news.

never confuse entertainment with journalism ...... :smiley-happy088:

#16 TigerChick4.6

• 30 posts
  • 2 topics
  • LocationLafayette

Posted 12 July 2012 - 07:26 PM

I noticed Brazil jumped from like 162 or something to #60 after his blazing performance this past week......

#17 Fishhead

• 14,195 posts
  • 887 topics
  • LocationLandmass

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:05 PM

Here's a surprise. In the new ESPN 300 rankings Swoopes dropped 85 spots to #100. How is a 5* QB gonna be ranked 100.

Didn't you know? ESPN hates LS...er...TAMU.

#18 AWolf02

Geaux Tigers!

• 256 posts
  • 20 topics

Posted 13 July 2012 - 06:38 AM

I've known that since the beginning. I'm surprised they even let A&M be ranked in the top 5 recruiting classes. All of that is changing though. That fatass t-shirt fan Ketch that runs OB was just recently fired from his radio show on ESPNradio. He is the driving force behind the Rivals rankings in Texas and has taken a lot of heat for ranking that QB and other players so high. He was hyping that kid up before the summer as the "Best QB to ever come out of the state." and wouldn't listen any of the national recruiting guys. He went so far as calling out the head of ESPN recruiting on air after The Opening was over.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users