Northshore Mom

Coffee

Got a Cuisinart coffee maker for Christmas. Grinds the beans right before brewing.

:blond:

Edited by TigerEmcee

• In 850, the world changed forever. According to legend, an Ethiopian goat-herder named Kaldi began to notice that his goats became surprisingly energetic after chewing berries from certain plants. When Kaldi took the berries to a monk, the monk promptly threw them into the fire, but was drawn back by the attractive smell they produced. When other monks began to gather, they soon pulled the roasted berries out of the fire, ground them, and stewed them in hot water. Thus, coffee was born.

1 hour ago, dachsie said:
  • In 850, the world changed forever. According to legend, an Ethiopian goat-herder named Kaldi began to notice that his goats became surprisingly energetic after chewing berries from certain plants. When Kaldi took the berries to a monk, the monk promptly threw them into the fire, but was drawn back by the attractive smell they produced. When other monks began to gather, they soon pulled the roasted berries out of the fire, ground them, and stewed them in hot water. Thus, coffee was born.

And the rest is history :smiley-happy088:

giphy.gif

30 minutes ago, Northshore Mom said:

We are on a family vacation in Florida.  There are 8 of us, everyone is asleep but me, and I am enjoying some fine Columbian ( coffee that is). :smiley-eatdrink013:

Nice way to start the day out there!  I like a brief walk on the beach as the sun comes up, then my coffee and breakfast.

18 minutes ago, houtiger said:

Nice way to start the day out there!  I like a brief walk on the beach as the sun comes up, then my coffee and breakfast.

Would love to walk, but torrential rain.  

I'm in the market for a good 4 cup, or 6 cup press .... glass or stainless .... any recommendations?

Edited by cadillacattack

Since its just me, I use the small press by bonjour.  Its glass but has lasted for years.

Okay, so after much thought .... here's my new "everyday"setup:

1) Krups professional 18 serving Burr Grinder - grind settings from fine to coarse

2) Bruhen 34 oz Double wall Stainless Coffee Press - very happy with this press. Does a great job and the double wall construction keeps the coffee hot.

3) Breville 8-Cup Electric Water Kettle - fast, accurate water temp in less than 4 minutes .... wundebar!

In less than 10 minutes, this setup makes 4 cups of outstanding, rich brew. I add fresh filtered water to the kettle and choose the temp, then I hit the button on the Krups grinder. I transfer the freshly ground coffee to the press, wait for the tone from the Breville indicating the water is at the proper temp (this is a far more important factor than you might think) , then pour the hot water from the Breville into the press .... and snap in the top hat to the press. Wait three minutes and depress the plunger and serve.

This setup is easy to clean and brews a superb cup of coffee.

I still have the Nespresso system for when I'm running late and need an espresso in less than 3 minutes. And the Nespresso frother keeps Missus Caddy happy, but the pods are expensive. Good coffee, but falls short of freshly ground beans.

Also, I still have the AeroPress for traveling and backpacking (lightweight and compact).

Edited by cadillacattack

Caddy, you are a bit further into this process than I am, but I admire your dedication!

Edited by houtiger

Thanks, houtiger ...

it was actually this very thread that got me to thinking a few years ago about getting away from "convenient" coffee and back to my roots about the "flavor" of coffee. There's just nothing quite like fresh roasted, freshly ground beans and the mystery and art of brewing a truly enjoyable cup of joe. 

Once a week, I grind enough beans to brew an 18 cup hotpot at the office .... which stands apart from the normal "office coffee" the way that OBJ stands apart from average wide receivers. It's easy to identify the real coffee junkies in the office by the way they swing by my office on their way to the break room ... to see if I brought "the good stuff" ... lol

I look for a deal on "better" ground coffee.  I like Seattle's Best, and Peete's - Major Dickason's Blend.  I pick up Community New Orleans Blend with chicory sometimes.  

I  have had this cappuccino maker for years and have enjoyed many a cup of java using it. Purchased on a trip to DisneyWorld when we brought the kiddos. Pretty sure it was in Italy in the World Showcase in Epcot

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000AA89GW/ref=asc_df_B000AA89GW5435902/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=395009&creativeASIN=B000AA89GW&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167147331067&hvpos=1o3&hvnetw=g&hvrand=11067903126467931994&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9025237&hvtargid=pla-312206734783

612KZ3YUGUL._SL1200_.jpg

Edited by Hatchertiger