Sign in to follow this  
Nutriaitch

PSU trustees filing appeal of sanctions

so after PedSt's president admitted the school's guilt, and agreed not to appeal, the BoT had a meeting to determine if he had the power to do that.

the BoT determined it was in PedSt. best interest to accept the penalties.

then the Pedterno family demanded an appeal.

NCAA said, "this is not subject to appeal"

and NOW,

A Penn State Board of Trustee member filed an appeal Monday afternoon with the NCAA over sanctions levied against the university after the Jerry Sandusky child sex-abuse scandal.

Three other trustees joined the appeal, which states a consent decree that university president Rodney Erickson signed with the NCAA agreeing to the sanctions is "null and void" because Erickson "lacked the legal authority" to enter into such an agreement without the board's approval.

ESPN.com

i'm rooting for a full on NCAA investigation now.

and that they find the Freeh report is accurate, PLUS the a shyt pile of other NCAA violations.

and then hands down the 4 year death penalty they threatened prior to these sanctions.

oh, and let's not forget this part:

Trustees and a person with first-hand knowledge of the discussions said the move is a precursor to a federal lawsuit asking a federal judge to invalidate the sanctions, because trustees expect the NCAA to reject the appeal.

i'm rooting for a full on NCAA investigation now.

and that they find the Freeh report is accurate, PLUS the a shyt pile of other NCAA violations.

and then hands down the 4 year death penalty they threatened prior to these sanctions.

this. a gazillion times this!

anyone else see the hypocricy in the following?

A Penn State Board of Trustee member filed an appeal Monday afternoon with the NCAA over sanctions levied against the university after the Jerry Sandusky child sex-abuse scandal.

Three other trustees joined the appeal, which states a consent decree that university president Rodney Erickson signed with the NCAA agreeing to the sanctions is "null and void" because Erickson "lacked the legal authority" to enter into such an agreement without the board's approval.

yet it isnt the whole board signing the appeal, the the high priests in the cult. does the appeal have the board's approval?

McCombie hired Boston attorneys Paul Kelly and Gregg Clifton of Jackson Lewis to file the appeal and wrote a letter to trustees Monday afternoon asking them to join him in his effort. Three trustees nearly immediately joined him. Kelly declined to comment, and McCombie did not return a message seeking comment.

so the lawyers were hired by one member of the bot, not the bot itself. and he got three others to sign the letter. so individual trustees can act on their own and say it is for the board? what a crock of chit!

btw, nootch, you notice it is the one that i thought was the one who looked like a cult priest when you were asking a question about that?

Edited by OkieTigerTK

oh, and this is gagging...

• The sanctions are "excessive and unreasonable" because they inflict "permanent damage to an entire generation of student-athletes and coaches who were innocent of any wrongdoing during their time on campus ..."

it is just too bad that the bot isnt concerned about permanent damage to the victims of child rape.

the lege needs to step in and remove the whole freakin bot.

Seems to me that I read some stories that stated that Ped State agreed to the terms of the sanctions to avoid a four-year death penalty.

If they mess around with appeals, courts, etc, I think the NCAA should go ahead and slam them with that. Don't think it will happen, but it should.

The school should lose its academic accreditation too.

don't know how possible that is, BUT

the violation of the Clery Act has already caught the feds attention.

if the DOE gets involved, it could be lights out.

don't know how possible that is, BUT

the violation of the Clery Act has already caught the feds attention.

if the DOE gets involved, it could be lights out.

i agree, but it wont happen. ped state alum have too much clout.

it is beyond me tho how there is anyone who can defend the actions of the psu "leaders" (and i use that term loosely) that enabled a child rapist.

Scary part, Okie, is that if they got the right judge, he might be on their side...

there are some pretty odd folks on the bench these days.

Agreed. The reason I say they should lose accreditation is because the university administration through all levels conspired in a criminal act that probably violates the accreditating body's charter...as well as PSU's charter.

This crime is a lot different that had they embezzled money or something. This crime destroys human beings.

pope11.jpg

so just to recap, here's a brief timeline of events:

July 20-22(ish)

Ped St. President Erickson speaks with Emmert, confers with Board President and some board members while negotiating NCAA sanctions

Ped St. agrres to admit guilt and accept sanctions not subject to appeal

July 23(ish)

NCAA drops the hammer on Ped St.

Admits that multi-year death penalty was actually the preferred sentence

Ped St. pledges complete transparency in compliance with sanctions

July 25(ish)

BoT holds a super secret meeting (rather than public meeting that promised transparency would entail) to determine if Ped St president had authority to sign Consent Decree and accept sanctions without full board approval

BoT comes to the conclusion that "full board approval was not required by the university charter, bylaws and standing orders."

Aug 3(ish)

The surviving members of the Pedterno family demand an appeal of the sanctions.

Base mainly on the Pedterno family not being allowed in on the negotiations, and were not given due process

Less than an hour later, the NCAA once again reminds everyone "these sanctions are not subject to appeal"

Aug 6(ish)

some BoT members decide to file an appeal claiming "Erickson 'lacked the legal authority' to enter into such an agreement without the board's approval." (less than 12 days after the BoT stated he DID have legal authority).

so in a span of 2 weeks:

• some of BoT is involved in negotiations with NCAA to determine sanctions
  • BoT questions Erickson's authority to accept sanctions
  • BoT agrees Erickson did indeed have authority
  • Pedterno family files a frivolous appeal
  • some of BoT (led by high priest McCombie, and head nutjuob Lubrano) file an appeal on grounds that what they agreed to a couple weeks ago was bullshyt.

Who the eff is in charge up there?

Looking like a civil war is bound to erupt amongst BoT members.

Who the eff is in charge up there?

Looking like a civil war is bound to erupt amongst BoT members.

quite honestly, i think that would be for the best. if the paterno family and their lap dogs are gonna keep demanding things, then those that dont roll over for em need to be digging in and pitching a hissy fit.

Ped. St is tiptoeing the line of "Institutional Control" right now.

not in their past transgressions, but just in their actions of the last 2 weeks alone could be viewed as a violation:

A supervisor with overall responsibility for compliance, in assigning duties to

subordinates, so divides responsibilities that, as a practical matter, no one is, or

appears to be, directly in charge.

The President doesn't have authority without the full board approval

The President does have authority without the full board approval.

The President doesn't have authority without the full board approval.

Some of the board can file an appeal without the full board approval.

that is text book "no one is in charge here"

Ped. St is tiptoeing the line of "Institutional Control" right now.

that is text book "no one is in charge here"

An old boss of mine used to say, "When everyone is in charge, NO ONE is in charge." Turns out he was right.

I'd banish them from the NCAA.

I'm sure you have to be a member of the NCAA to appeal. I'd want to deal with the appeal that way. "Who's filing an appeal?...PSU....who's that? They don't even exist."

Edited by Stevescookin

from the link dach's posted...

Gene Marsh, an attorney and former NCAA infractions official, told trustees Sunday that attempts to mitigate the sanctions went nowhere and they were essentially forced on the university. He said most NCAA board members favored the so-called "death penalty" -- total shutdown of the football program -- for multiple years, and even more sanctions beyond that.

"I was also told that the NCAA board thought it was the worst case of loss of institutional control they had ever seen, and that an even greater issue on their mind beyond the acts of individuals was the idea of a 'culture problem' at Penn State," he said.

Erickson told trustees that he was told that an overwhelming majority of NCAA officials "wanted blood" and the consent decree was "a take-it-or-leave-it proposition" -- and any leak of details would take the deal off the table. After consulting with the university's executive committee and receiving legal advice that he had the power to do so, he signed the agreement, he said.

really thinking now they just should have gone through with the death penalty, even tho i thought it was purely a criminal/civil matter. psu is making me root for the ncaa now.

Gov. Tom Corbett, who serves on the board, said he believed the NCAA sanctions "went beyond the mission and oversight authority of the organization, but that argument is for another day." Erickson, Corbett said, "faced a dilemma of two very undesirable choices. He chose, I think correctly, the lesser of the two severe punishments."

the typical try to talk out of both sides of your mouth political stance.

Trustee Ryan McCombie also said he would appeal but told fellow members Sunday that he had told his attorney to refrain from legal action "to allow for sufficient time for full and deliberate review." His attorney later said McCombie had agreed to "temporarily suspend" the appeal but had not agreed to withdraw it.

definitely the new high priest of the cult. the majority of the bot says they will back erickson, but this jack wagon is still wanting to go off on his own with a lawyer and appeals? good grief!

This whole thing starts to get very confusing to me, if it wasn't for nootch's timelines every so often, it would even be worse. It also confuses me that anybody or group of people could not realize how horrible it is and looks that they are so worried about these sanctions and not about the lives that were affected by the horrific actions of the people in power at their prized university.

Sickening...