RileyTime

Next Season - TM7 to return to LSU?

For what it's worth, Charles Hanagriff said on his radio show about 30 minutes ago that Les Miles is currently talking with university officials to see if this is possible.

If LSU has a school/team rule that states:

"if you do ______ you are permanently kicked off the team"

Then the punishment absolutely HAS to be permanently kicked off the team.

Doesn't matter what the rule is, or if you agree with the rule or not.

Doesn't matter the kid's background.

Doesn't matter if he was a heisman finalist or not.

Doesn't matter if it's a position we need or not.

Doesn't matter if the kid has "changed".

If that is the rule, we have to stick by that rule.

Anything other than sticking by that rule tells the rest of the team, and all future players that "if you're good enough, the rules don't apply"

A big part of TM issue is he apparently felt he didn't have to follow this rule.

Hence him breaking it multiple times.

Taking him back under any circumstances would confirm that belief.

And this is coming from the biggest Mathieu fan on this board.

I truly hope he can clean himself up.

I'm rooting really hard for him to beat his demons and be a successful story when he's done.

But he was kicked off the team.

And he shouldn't get another do over when it gets to that point.

Apparently according to Greg's other thread - that's not the rule tho. I have mixed feelings about a return. In some ways I think it would be redemptorative for him but if he fails again, it would not be good for LSU. I just hope he gets the help he needs.

I tend to think getting kicked off of a team that will most likely win a National Championship, and sitting at home watching someone play in your spot on your team is a pretty good licking to take. If he comes back, and that is a big if, there will be a zero policy you better show me you belong guideline.

He would no longer be held to the same standards as the rest of them, he would be on a completely different level... And if he can take a year, show Coach Miles that he has learned and will come back a better human and player... That is showing me enough.

Once he realizes what was truly taken from him, I would think that would set him straight. We are all human.

:OLDSKULE: Every bit of this. :smiley-happy088:

Apparently according to Greg's other thread - that's not the rule tho. I have mixed feelings about a return. In some ways I think it would be redemptorative for him but if he fails again, it would not be good for LSU. I just hope he gets the help he needs.

Ultimately it is up to the head coach to decide if he wants to take a course of action that allows the player to return the following year or not. But in doing so, the coach sets a precedent for future instances.

TM7 really threw them a curve ball here though with his expressed desire to stay at LSU with hopes of returning next season. 99% of players in his situation look for the fastest route to the NFL and go to a lower division school to play right away.

FWIW, the rules state that after the 3rd strike, the athlete is off the team for a year. Both CLM and Alleva answered questionsa about his, i.e., would TM take that option and be back after a year. Both said (to paraphrase), "I don't think he wants to sit out of football for a year."

Reading between the lines, it seems as though TM's first reponse to the 3rd strike was "I want to transfer then, play a year and go pro". Now that he's thought about it and it has truly hit him, he might be looking into the whole taking a year off and being reinstated.

I don't think that if (IF) they let him back on that it's going against anything they originally layed out for him when the test came positive. And it's not doing anything special for him, either, if staying out a year per the rules was an option originally offered to him.

Whether or not I personally think TM should be back is another post. It's just my impression after stuff's come out over the weekend was that it wasn't so much that TM was kicked off permantely as it was that he was kicked off for a year and all realistic options would be him going somewhere else to go pro as soon as he could.

If that makes sense. LOL

Assuming his desire to return is legit and there is a mutual desire from the coaching staff and university, then I personally am all for it. Why? Because for him to ever step on the field again it would mean he's gone through one yearlong stringent drug testing regiment and also receive help/counseling all along the way. All the while furthering his education.

A young man that makes it through such a year is NOT the same young man that he is today.

Whatever LSU does will be fine with me. I will agree/disagree with what happens if they let me in on all of the discussions/meetings thus giving me enough information upon which to intelligently comment.

Whoa, I agree with SF, watch out for dark clouds and lightning! Heck, we don't even know exactly what he did. Others sat out a season and played, like Ricky Jean-Francois.

I'll trust Les on this.

On the other hand, the recent report that TM is denying the ESPN report would make sense to me. I don't necessarily think a college degree is all that important to TM, I think he sees his future in a nice NFL contract. To me, that would mean playing for someone this season and declare for the draft next spring. How much more would TM have to prove in college after being on the Heisman stage as a soph? Not much IMO. I think NFL knows what they would get, a damn good punt returner and a good nickle back.

I'll be very surprised if TM sits a year and comes back to LSU, very surprised.

the easiest thing in the world for him to do is to play 12 games at div 1-aa and head into the draft. in fact, i don't know why he's not going to do this.

if it's true he wants to come back and pay his own way, because of remorse, regret, to right wrongs, because he is a tiger,etc is pretty admirable.

i'm kinda torn. i feel in this case, it may be the better thing for both parties to part ways.

but what do i know??

the easiest thing in the world for him to do is to play 12 games at div 1-aa and head into the draft. in fact, i don't know why he's not going to do this.

if it's true he wants to come back and pay his own way, because of remorse, regret, to right wrongs, because he is a tiger,etc is pretty admirable.

i'm kinda torn. i feel in this case, it may be the better thing for both parties to part ways.

but what do i know??

I agree with you, Godfather. I am absolutely torn. At first I simply said, "NO!". On reflection, however, I wonder if the goal of returning as a Tiger might not be the only one strong enough to inspire him to make a sincere change. I think being a Tiger IS his identity. I DO believe TM is a good man, though obviously I disagree with some of his behavior. He is, after all, a very YOUNG man who has a lot to overcome.

Since I can't decide, I think it best to trust CLM to do the best thing - and the right thing. He has always done so in the past.

Edited by PaducahMichael

Two pennies:

You can spin this whichever way you want.

1) It would mean others could break the rules, and we aren't stern enough. We would be a "joke".

2) It would mean LSU cares about players becoming better men.

I choose option 2. Here's why:

As someone who was a complete KNUCKLEHEAD in the 90's getting arrested for more things than a Detroit Lion, I had to finally make up my mind that I wanted to change. It took A LOT of events to make me realize that I was being a moron. This could be TM7's event. It is by far bigger than all of mine combined.

When I did finally reach the final event that caused me to decide the way I was living was foolishness....I needed two things:

1) A will (or as Les would say - "a want") to be better. A will strong enough to overcome all the hard bumps ahead to gain back trust and to be accepted back into "society".

2) Someone somewhere that had faith and grace enough to give me that first chance. - I promise I am glad everyone in the world isn't as "spotless" as some of you on here are or I'd be digging ditches to this day instead of a former Bank Vice President and now Student Pastor who goes to Youth Challenge Programs to help kids like I once was learn from MY mistakes.

This "issue" with TM7 can be one of great redemption. He messed up. BAD. I am in NO WAY advocating what he did. It was STUPID...BUT...if he can really lay aside football...and PAY HIS OWN WAY for a year of school. Get good grades. Get his LIFE together and come back and finish not only as a Tiger...but as a better person. It would be an amazing story. Another college football season somewhere else right away isn't what this kid needs. And remember to all you "30 somethings" on here who just now got your life in control that he is still a young man. No excuse...but still he's not exactly in the same thought process that some of us have been forced to accept as we got older.

I personally love stories of the people who are wounded (self inflicted or not) that get up off the ground (with some help from other's who have fallen once or twice too) and get on the right track. If he could get it together...and even though it may be a BIG IF...none of us can say for sure that he "hasn't or won't learn". You don't know that...get off your soap box, put down your stones, and go try to do some good in your own life.

So if he can....if he will....and if he PAYS his way...and WORKS HARD...and STAYS HUMBLE....I would love to see him come out on senior day sober and wearing purple and gold and a part of one of the best "Fall to Redemption" stories of college football history.

And if you think it can bring negative press...yep. So does everything we ever do. It's called being relevant.

Just throwing this out there as a "just in case"

If this guy is ever on LSUs football team again, I still own the rights to him as my man crush.

I'll even go so far as to keep him for the entire year he sits out if it is announced this is the route he takes.

Because if he can pull this off, he will regain my trust and respect.

I will support him 100% in this attempt if he has this option.

You don't know that...get off your soap box, put down your stones, and go try to do some good in your own life.

You made some valid points until this. You should stick to discussing the player, and not the people discussing the player. Glad for your personal story of redemption, but who the hell said you cornered the market? Mighty arrogant assumption on your part. Like I said before, stick to discussing the player and his actions, and leave the personal judgments of posters on the forum out of it.

Too much rumor & media speculation. I don't think he will ever wear a LSU uniform again.

If I'm wrong, I'll gladly admit it.

You made some valid points until this. You should stick to discussing the player, and not the people discussing the player. Glad for your personal story of redemption, but who the hell said you cornered the market? Mighty arrogant assumption on your part. Like I said before, stick to discussing the player and his actions, and leave the personal judgments of posters on the forum out of it.

I wasn't being arrogant. People that say the know for sure someone can and won't change would be considered to me to be on a soap box. I didn't say any particular poster was doing that. I said if you say "he won't change...or he can't change"...then that's wrong. No one knows for sure if he will or won't. That's a fact...not an assumption.

What do you mean about me "cornering" the market? I am having a hard time seeing your points here. The only "assumption" I see in both of our comments is your statement about me thinking I "cornered the market".

I disagree with you..but for some reason I feel like I should be ok with that.

PS - the arrogance in these two posts is you thinking you can tell me what/who to post about and how to post. If you as a "founding member" want to delete my post...then go for it. But you are the one that is making the "assumptions" and "making personal judgements of posters" in my opinion.

If you as a "founding member" want to delete my post...then go for it.

For the record, founding members have the same forum privileges as everyone else. They are the ones who joined the site within the first month or so of its founding.

Carry on the discussion. :smiley-happy088:

Edited by Greg

For the record, founding members have the same forum privileges as everyone else. They are the ones who joined the site within the first month or so of its founding.

Dang - and I thought we were special. Another in a long line of disappointments. :smiley-ashamed002:

That's good to know. Thanks for the insight.

So I won't pay unnecessary homage to those that try to "dictate" what someone posts. I came to this forum by invite because of it's lack of the negatigers. I would hope unless I get increasingly negative about LSU as a University and a Sports Program that I could speak my mind without someone trying to monitor my posting habits and thinking they need to change them for me. If I do become overly negative about either of those two things I would hope to see posts that ask me "who the (*edited) do you think that you are". Until then I will carry on as usual.

If LSU has a school/team rule that states:

"if you do ______ you are permanently kicked off the team"

Then the punishment absolutely HAS to be permanently kicked off the team.

troof

Dang - and I thought we were special. Another in a long line of disappointments. :smiley-ashamed002:

Oh you're special all right..... :rofl:

I arrived on the short bus. Apparently it has less drag than the bigger bus.

My main reason for thinking this is a bad idea is that he hasn't learned yet and this would mean that he wouldn't learn at all. I personally would cheer for him if he came back, but that's only because I'm a fan. I highly doubt it's possible, though.

Here is what I would do, if this could even be done. Make him subject to weekly drug testing, all year. Also, have him reach out to the community in programs designed for kids who have similar backgrounds and set backs. I am all for him coming back next year, but I am not for him coming back without having to work his tail off to show that this will not happen again. If he can follow all the guidelines set by Coach Miles and stay clean while working his ass off, then and only then, would I say he can be allowed to rejoin LSU's football team. If he can honestly put forth the effort it would take I would welcome him with open arms. If he falters and continously has set backs and slip ups, sorry kid, but that was your opportunity. I wish him all the luck in the future because he is an amazing talent.

I wasn't being arrogant. People that say the know for sure someone can and won't change would be considered to me to be on a soap box. I didn't say any particular poster was doing that. I said if you say "he won't change...or he can't change"...then that's wrong. No one knows for sure if he will or won't. That's a fact...not an assumption.

You missed my point entirely, but I will still answer this. Who on this forum said this or even alluded to it? You are disputing a statement that nobody made?

What do you mean about me "cornering" the market? I am having a hard time seeing your points here.

Your assumption is here.

I promise I am glad everyone in the world isn't as "spotless" as some of you on here are or I'd be digging ditches to this day

and here.

nd remember to all you "30 somethings" on here who just now got your life in control

Is this difficult to understand?

I disagree with you..but for some reason I feel like I should be ok with that.

Who on here has suggested you should agree with anyone?

@ TheDude

Too much to multi quote and take up any more room with this nonsense. Continue to take my post as an assumptive attack on people. The shoe fit some people. They can wear it...you can put it back on the shelf and look for your own pair. But as of this post I don't feel it necessary to continue this particular conversation with you.

Your "is that so hard to understand" comment is arrogant and condescending in nature...which is what you accused me of.

And no one said I had to agree with anyone.....BUT I wanted to make real sure you know that I don't agree with you.

I didn't quote anyone and then tell them "who the (edit) do you think you are" and then tell them how to post. YOU DID. Nothing "assumptive" about who was arrogant there.

But I digress. Have a great day :smiley-happy088:

In other news:

What does it say about LSU that TM7 wants to come back here (allegedly) instead of going any other route?

And if he is willing to put in that kind of work to pay back the team, the coach, and the fans for what he did...I stand up and applaud.

Now...let's just see if the great idea becomes a great plan of action and then actually comes to fruition. If so...it would be something special.

As far as the team rule is concerned...it appears that he is actually eligible to play next year. The "dismissed from the team forever" stuff was based on the assumption that he would obviously leave and go play somewhere else and enter the draft. The actual rule gives him a 4th test before he is banned forever.

That's what is written in black and white (allegedly)...so it wouldn't be us making an exception at all. It would be about a player who would be as tenacious about fixing his mistake as he was about finding the football.