RileyTime

Next Season - TM7 to return to LSU?

I'm seeing reports that he now is going to look into staying at LSU and wants to play again next year, if it is ok with LSU. I for one am 100% behind this idea if true.

I'm seeing reports that he now is going to look into staying at LSU and wants to play again next year, if it is ok with LSU. I for one am 100% behind this idea if true.

holy crap. i could not disagree more.

the young man needs to be held accountable for his behavior. yes, i still think the problems run deeper and that he is a good kid that needs serious help. but no matter what the reason, when one screws up due to alcohol or drugs, they must pay the consequences. not holding to booting him would only be enabling him.

i hope that tm gets serious help, because i dont think he will be able to get clean until he faces deeper issues. but he needs to do it with a both understanding that he screwed up and must pay for that, and get a clean start elsewhere. and that is coming from someone who is truly worried about him not as a fb player, but as a person.

Not a good idea. He needs a complete, clean break from LSU, not a 'time-out'.

I'm sorry he's gone, but he needs to stay gone.

I tend to think getting kicked off of a team that will most likely win a National Championship, and sitting at home watching someone play in your spot on your team is a pretty good licking to take. If he comes back, and that is a big if, there will be a zero policy you better show me you belong guideline.

He would no longer be held to the same standards as the rest of them, he would be on a completely different level... And if he can take a year, show Coach Miles that he has learned and will come back a better human and player... That is showing me enough.

Once he realizes what was truly taken from him, I would think that would set him straight. We are all human.

Whatever LSU does will be fine with me. I will agree/disagree with what happens if they let me in on all of the discussions/meetings thus giving me enough information upon which to intelligently comment.

Bad idea. Too controversial, too much bad publicity for LSU, and ultimately circumvents the consequence that he justly paid. A poor msg would be sent to the rest of the team.

Even for TM, this is probably one of the worse moves he could make.

Former LSU cornerback Tyrann Mathieu has expressed interest in sitting out this season, staying in class and hoping for a return to the program in 2013, if it can be worked out with the school, according to sources.

I hate that so much. "According to sources." The source could be some student working in the athletic building who overheard a phone call. It would help give people a much better idea if the story is meaningless or not if the source was actually named.

holy crap. i could not disagree more.

the young man needs to be held accountable for his behavior. yes, i still think the problems run deeper and that he is a good kid that needs serious help. but no matter what the reason, when one screws up due to alcohol or drugs, they must pay the consequences. not holding to booting him would only be enabling him.

i hope that tm gets serious help, because i dont think he will be able to get clean until he faces deeper issues. but he needs to do it with a both understanding that he screwed up and must pay for that, and get a clean start elsewhere. and that is coming from someone who is truly worried about him not as a fb player, but as a person.

But this would be just what the doctor ordered for him. A year without football to reflect and rehab his body and mind. Based on the ESPN article, this may well be the wakeup call he needed. Let him undergo counseling and let him concentrate on academics and just being a man without the distraction of being a star athlete. This could be a good thing.

Dude: how this would affect the perception of the LSU program should not be a consideration as long as they are doing the right thing for the young man. This wakeup call may be just what TM needed.

I know of what I speak.

Edited by SabanFan

Honestly, I don't understand the reasoning behind some of you not wanting him to come back. I am 100% behind him being gone this year, he made his bed he now has to sleep in it. BUT, with that being said... If he can honestly turn his life around and prove to his teammates and coaches and the LSU community that he messed up, he has manned up to it and is willing to make every sacrifice he has to endure to get back on this team... Why would you not want a man like that on your team? We all love Mett, who was kicked off Georgia for something similar in terms of messing up (I understand it was two different situations, but you get my drift), and now all I read about is how he overcame what he did and has become a better leader and teammate for it.

Why would this be any different for Tyrann? I for one know what it's like to overcome set backs and just how much better of a person you can be if you honestly take it and make yourself better for it.

But this would be just what the doctor ordered for him. A year without football to reflect and rehab his body and mind. Based on the ESPN article, this may well be the wakeup call he needed. Let him undergo counseling and let him concentrate on academics and just being a man without the distraction of being a star athlete. This could be a good thing.

that is a good point. but if he does, imo, it HAS to be with the condition of rehab. he has got to get his [poop] together and cleaned up.

edit: and like you, i know of what i speak. i think both of us agree that whatever happens, he has to get himself together and get clean.

Edited by OkieTigerTK

We all love Mett, who was kicked off Georgia for something similar in terms of messing up (I understand it was two different situations, but you get my drift), and now all I read about is how he overcame what he did and has become a better leader and teammate for it.

and you just made my argument. mett wasnt allowed back at uga. he had to go elsewhere and start over. clean slate. as pissed as i was at rp, that is what it took for him. starting fresh elsewhere.

i understand what you are saying, and sf has a point. i will live either way. the either way, the young man has to get help and get clean.

Yes, it could be or it could blow up in our faces. Will either TM or LSU be applauded when he fails a drug test next year and is summarily dismissed? Would that potentially help or hurt our team in preparations for the next season? How about on the Friday before the bama game? If that happens I suppose we kick him off, and make him wait two years to rejoin the team? What could be wrong with that?

Dude: how this would affect the perception of the LSU program should not be a consideration as long as they are doing the right thing for the young man.

Preposterous! Why does LSU have a PR department? And they are not glossing over a discretion in order to look good, but considering how foolish they might look by letting him back on the team, is a consideration. I guarantee they are "considering" that right now. And also "considering" what would happen to the school and the team should TM fail again. Doing what's "right for the player" is to be expected, but doing what is right for the university should always come first. LSU has more at stake than one player, regardless of how beloved or penitent.

Nootch is right. A rule is a rule, and we have lauded Miles for this. If two strikes gets a suspension and 3 gets you off the team, that should be that.

If an exception is made here, it sends the wrong msg to the locker room. In fact, the very opposite is sent. "If you are a really special player, there is always a chance..."

I will be surprised if it is allowed.

The farther he can get from the 7th ward, the better...

very valid point. that goes back to rp having to get away from the old habits and friends that were helping reinforce them. (no, that is not an excuse for tm, it is a reality of sometimes we have to get away from people, places, and things, to change.)

Wow... if this is true, to me this would be a sincere move and I would let him continue at the university and back on the team in approximately one year if 'conditions were met'. I am a bit shocked on two fronts, first being that Tyrann does not think transferring and then entering the NFL is a good idea. I certainly thought Tyrann would go pro after this year. Second shocker is that LSU does not have an automatic dismissal in the team rules, but the third time is a one year suspension.

I dont know, Fish. I think being a Tiger is his identity. You take that away from him and he becomes bitter and goes the wrong way. IF he is truly sorry and has truly seen the error lf his ways, this "second chance " may turn him around. TM is in a very fragile state and if he can be saved, being an LSU Tiger may be the only way. Tossing him out with the trash may cause irrevocable harm. I'm no bleeding heart but I feel this is a kid that can be saved.

FWIW, I am with you on all that. But there's a reason they were pushing mcneese over Nichols to him.

And apparently there is now a source "close to TM" that disputes he wants to return.

A source close to dismissed LSU cornerback Tyrann Mathieu disputed an ESPN.com report Monday that said Mathieu was considering a return to LSU in 2013 after sitting out the 2012 season.

10320413-small.jpg

Chris Granger/The Times-Picayune

Tyrann Mathieu says he wants to come back to LSU even if he sits out a season.

The source said remaining in Baton Rouge "wouldn't be happening" and that McNeese State, which Mathieu visited on Friday, is presently the only option for transfer. The source said Mathieu, who has moved back home to New Orleans, will make a decision on transferring by Wednesday

http://www.nola.com/lsu/index.ssf/2012/08/dismissed_lsu_cornerback_tyran.html