Greg

LSU's Substance Abuse Policy for Athletes

There has been lots of speculation as to what may or may not have happened with the recent dismissal of one of our football players from the team. However, nobody really seems to know the exact details of how this works.

Does the player get kicked off after two drug tests? three? four?

Well, the correct answer is three. And the athlete CAN return to their team a year later with proper approvals.

This is (part of) what happens when the third offense occurs:

One-year suspension from competition. Scholarship during this period of time is at the discretion of the Athletic Director and Head Coach and dependent upon a negative drug screen and compliance with ADAP program. Reinstatement after the one-year period is with the support of the ADAP treatment team and Athletic Director and at the request of the Head Coach, dependent upon negative drug screen.

Full details:

http://www.lsusports.net/fls/5200/assets/docs/ad/compliance/pdf/lsudrugs.pdf?DB_OEM_ID=5200

It would seem to me that they already looked at this option before making a final decision? Could be there was something else contributing to his demise? Lot of coulds and woulds.

Not sure what went down with #7. However, looking at the rest of the policy gives a good indication of where other players and too right now. based on the suspensions given out last season, we have a couple others teetering on the brink.

Ultimately though, it looks like a player can return after sitting out a year but only if the coach and administration allow it. But the player has to be monitored very closely, ie drug tested rigorously the entire year they are not playing.

just speaking policy here with this topic, not whether or not it should happen.

That policy would allow for reasonable "wiggle-room". CLM and Joe Alleva did not act as though they had a choice. I'm wondering what else is involved that we don't know.

MUST be something else. At least that's how I see it.

With the recent PSU scandal on the tail of Southern Cal, North Carolina, etc., I suspect high profile college athletic departments will really be media targets for a while (more so than usual). One result will probably be that you’ll see more of these decisions to just dismiss wayward athletes and not give them third and fourth chances.