Feral Pig Problem

30 replies to this topic

#1 Northshore Mom

Mom on the Move

• 1,686 posts
  • 271 topics
  • LocationWest Florida Parishes

Posted 17 August 2012 - 06:42 AM

A friend of mine lives in the Lacombe area and they are having a feral pig problem. Two pigs have claimed their property and they are being threatened by them. Since the first sighting two weeks ago, they said the pigs are larger. The pigs have been wreaking havoc in the yard and gardens.

This past Wednesday, the father and son were out kicking a soccer ball in late afternoon and the two pigs charged them. Both made it to their son's tree house in time. They were up there for 45 minutes waiting for pigs to leave.

They have talked to Wildlife and Fisheries and they said to shoot them. The dad now carries a gun when in the yard and is ready to take them out.

They asked us for suggestions on the best way to do this. This is not my expertise, any help from Tigalaya would be appreciated.

Thanks!

#2 Chase4LSU

• 4,674 posts
  • 87 topics
  • LocationThe Station

Posted 17 August 2012 - 06:53 AM

They are a hellacious nuisance, causing hundreds of millions of dollars in damage per year. As for getting rid of them, it's pretty much shoot many and shoot often.

Personally, if I were in a remote area (far removed from neighbors or houses, or had a line of fire that was backstopped by forests) The best would be to wait and shoot from an elevated position. The most popular hog round is a .35 Remington, but a 30-30 that's well placed will do the trick. They have a thick skin and you want a bullet that will cause blunt force trauma that's heavy. A pistol is almost out of the question (Personally seen one charge and take six .357 Magnum rounds before it fell, within ten feet of the shooter).

They're bad and nasty animals capable of killing and causing mass chaos. By staying elevated you create distance and buy yourself some reaction time.

Keep in mind local and state laws, which usually require you to be about 200 or 300 hundred yards from a residence while shooting. Also, they can be shot at anytime, but the best I've heard seems to be around dusk.

Hope that helps.

Edited by Chase4LSU, 17 August 2012 - 07:41 AM.

#3 orlandotiger

Ben Wilkerson

• 534 posts
  • 15 topics

Posted 17 August 2012 - 06:56 AM

Chase, that is an amazing wealth of killing pigs, I am impressed!

#4 Chase4LSU

• 4,674 posts
  • 87 topics
  • LocationThe Station

Posted 17 August 2012 - 06:59 AM

Thank you. I have my pig caliber but don't think anyone really wants to use that. SF can probably make some more suggestions that I didn't think of.

EDIT: Oh and it's because I really hate pigs.

Edited by Chase4LSU, 17 August 2012 - 07:02 AM.

#5 Titoabad1

Craig Steltz

• 67 posts
  • 2 topics
  • LocationAlexandria

Posted 17 August 2012 - 07:07 AM

Buy a sack of rice bran or sweet corn and place a pile of it for bait get elevated and use a large caliber round as suggested by Chase.

Edited by Titoabad1, 17 August 2012 - 07:08 AM.

#6 Northshore Mom

Mom on the Move

• 1,686 posts
  • 271 topics

Posted 17 August 2012 - 07:36 AM

They are not in a residential area and will suggest the caliber rounds and the baiting.

The treehouse is phenomenal, and will probably make a good "pig stand".

Thanks for the good information and will pass it along.

#7 Chase4LSU

• 4,674 posts
  • 87 topics
  • LocationThe Station

Posted 17 August 2012 - 07:44 AM

They are not in a residential area and will suggest the caliber rounds and the baiting.

The treehouse is phenomenal, and will probably make a good "pig stand".

Thanks for the good information and will pass it along.

For the calibers, 30-30 will be the easiest to find. .35 Remington is very popular north of us but is rarely seen in south Louisiana gun stores. My first choice would be a bigger round but if 30-30, tell them to look into Hornady Lever-revolution round. It is the best standard load I've found.

#8 Fishhead

Redfish Population Control Officer

• 14,426 posts
  • 911 topics
  • LocationLandmass

Posted 17 August 2012 - 08:01 AM

7mm mag?

Oh, and bacon™.

#9 Fishhead

• 14,426 posts
  • 911 topics
  • LocationLandmass

Posted 17 August 2012 - 08:04 AM

How rural are these folks? They could call this crew...

#10 Chase4LSU

• 4,674 posts
  • 87 topics
  • LocationThe Station

Posted 17 August 2012 - 08:13 AM

7mm mag?

Oh, and bacon™.

It is capable. However most of them are in single shot or bolt action rifles. My preference for dangerous game would be quicker reloading capability, namely a lever action. A lot of it will come down to preference and how much the neighbor will want to invest in this problem

#11 Fishhead

• 14,426 posts
  • 911 topics
  • LocationLandmass

Posted 17 August 2012 - 08:15 AM

It is capable. However most of them are in single shot or bolt action rifles. My preference for dangerous game would be quicker reloading capability, namely a lever action. A lot of it will come down to preference and how much the neighbor will want to invest in this problem

Good point. You would want something high capacity, because a one shot drop is pretty rare.

#12 Chase4LSU

• 4,674 posts
  • 87 topics
  • LocationThe Station

Posted 17 August 2012 - 08:22 AM

Good point. You would want something high capacity, because a one shot drop is pretty rare.

Depends on caliber and placement. As for capacity, my 7mm mag can hold 3+1. my favorite lever action, .45-70, holds 4+1. Though hunters don't like to admit it, misses are more common than one shot stops. I can get back on target quicker with the .45-70 than I can with the 7mm mag. It's the only magnum I own besides pistols and is great for long clear shot greater than 200 yards capable of almost anything on this continent, but if the distance is shorter than 100 yards I'll take the old technology.

#13 Northshore Mom

Mom on the Move

• 1,686 posts
  • 271 topics

Posted 17 August 2012 - 08:30 AM

How rural are these folks? They could call this crew...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dR4Y_GVqFmE

Not that rural. Those guys were dropping some pigs! :smiley-shocked003:

#14 PaducahMichael

Tiger Band / Class of '73

• 3,788 posts
  • 213 topics
  • LocationPaducah, KY

Posted 17 August 2012 - 10:12 AM

And don't forget - there's a reason for the old saying "bleeding like a stuck pig". The action may not be suitable for younger viewers.

Posted Image

Edited by PaducahMichael, 17 August 2012 - 10:26 AM.

#15 TigerEmcee

Chesty Puller

• 5,526 posts
  • 218 topics
  • LocationWinston-Salem NC

Posted 17 August 2012 - 10:27 AM

Feral hogs are getting to be a really big problem in southeast Texas too. The legislature, in fact, recently legalized that "heli-hogging" that you see in the video.

This topic has gotten me restless. I want to take the 1917 out and go pig shooting.

#16 watson18

Tiger Rifles, 1st Special Battalion

• 2,809 posts
  • 211 topics
  • LocationEbola City, USA

Posted 17 August 2012 - 01:03 PM

Dang, I am too late to the caliber/firearm discussion and Fish and Chase are right on, I personally would not hesitate to go hog hunting with a .223 to a .50 rifle from a stand. The .30-30 is great and I just have to say .30-30, .308 and .30-06 are my first thoughts for me, along with a shotgun firing slugs. Gotta like how I still had to interject my caliber thought.s.. just to tempting to gun folk.

Continue to use caution with the hogs in the area, they seem to hurt more hunters than any other game seems to in North America. Other words of wisdom, check out the regulations on hunting these things and your friends likely know somone that hunts from work or social circles that can guide them through the entire process or just come over to 'assist'.

Next, now that you have hunted, snared or trapped your hog, what to do? Having surgical gloves is a great precaution because handling these creatures can be bad for you. Hogs spread diseases that humans can get and most forms of disposal require you to touch them... burn/incinerate, bury or process for eating. The other method is to leave it right there and that could be another issue to itself.

Get rid of them hogs as fast and as safely as you can... they are a real mess.

Edited by watson18, 17 August 2012 - 01:07 PM.

#17 SabanFan

Laron Landry

• 2,431 posts
  • 31 topics
  • LocationPont Breaux

Posted 17 August 2012 - 01:05 PM

SF can probably make some more suggestions that I didn't think of.

Choot 'em

#18 OkieTigerTK

Saltine-American

• 19,222 posts
  • 866 topics
  • Locationwho knows?

Posted 17 August 2012 - 01:06 PM

did anyone else see the topic title and automatically think it was about arky and in the wrong forum? :D

#19 Chase4LSU

• 4,674 posts
  • 87 topics
  • LocationThe Station

Posted 17 August 2012 - 01:08 PM

Dang, I am too late to the caliber/firearm discussion and Fish and Chase are right on, I would not hesitate to go hog hunting with a .223 to a .50 rifle from a stand. The .30-30 is great and I just have to say .30-30, .308 and .30-06 are my first thoughts for me, along with a shotgun firing slugs.

Continue to use caution with the hogs in the area, they seem to hurt more hunters than any other game seems to in the North America. Other words of wisdom, check out the regulations on hunting these things and your friends likely know somone that hunts from work or social circles that can guide them through the entire process or just come over to 'assist'.

Next, now that you have hunted, snared or trapped your hog, what to do? Having surgical gloves is a great precaution because handling these creatures can be bad for you. Hogs spread diseases that humans can get and most forms of disposal require you to touch them... burn/incinerate, bury or process for eating. The other method is to leave it right there and that could be another issue to itself.

Get rid of them hogs as fast and as safely as you can... they are a real mess.

A good example of preference. I personally don't like using a .223 or anything smaller than a .270 for hunting purposes, but it's my preference. Several hunters do and have success with it.

And as for assisting..all you gotta do is ask :)

#20 Chase4LSU

• 4,674 posts
  • 87 topics
  • LocationThe Station

Posted 17 August 2012 - 01:09 PM

did anyone else see the topic title and automatically think it was about arky and in the wrong forum? :D

No... :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users