Greg

Rank LSU vs the rest of the SEC Right Now

How does LSU compare right now to the rest of the SEC? In a fourteen team ranking of the SEC teams, how would you rank 'em?

1) Alabama - If any other SEC team wants to change this, well then beat 'em.

2) South Carolina - Extremely impressive as the season progresses. Getting better and better. Especially on the lines.

3) Florida - Quality SEC road wins and took down a highly touted SEC foe at home.

4) LSU - Despite the numerous flaws, was within one score in only loss on road vs top 10 SEC opponent.

5) Georgia - Got routed by a very good USCe team. Might have been fool's gold all along though.

6) Texas A&M - Playing well so far in their first SEC season. Need more depth though to be serious contenders.

7) Mississippi State - They are on pace to have a really nice season, by MSU standards at least.

8) Tennessee - This is a team on the rise. A team that is still rebuilding though.

9) Ole Miss - Another team on the rise. But really they could only go up. They play well then wear out. Another needing depth.

10) Arkansas - Playing better now as the season progresses. Expect them to be a tough out later in the season.

11) Vanderbilt - They beat Missiouri yesterday! hahahaha

12) Missouri - they lost to Vanderbilt yesterday! hahahaha

13) Auburn - WTF happened here!?

14) Kentucky - Just waiting for basketball season to start, as usual.

I'm not sure we're the 2nd best team in the West.

I'm definitely worried that we're not. We're definitely going to have to earn it to prove otherwise.

I see you've gone back to your original username. Trying to reverse the tide? lol

I know not what you speaketh of! :smiley-eatdrink042:

i dont know what to think.

i stand by all of my comments of last night, though i might put it in more lady like way today.

but after last nights performance, getting a to in the red zone and not being able to punch it in, and trying a cute play that took two time outs to decide and had florida sniffing it out before the second time out....

i just dont know. i hope we can turn it around and maybe be second best in the west, but if we continue like last night it is gonna be a long season, and it is gonna get ugly in the stands of tiger stadium. i am already dreading next week. i fully expect miles (and the team) to get an ear full before their first possession. hell, pregame could get ugly. (judging by the way some around me act.)

We *could* act like Bama fans and contend that we had some breaks but that we are still the best team in the SEC.

But we are realists. I think the ranking go like this:

1. Alabama

2. Florida

3. LSU

4. South Carolina

Everyone else.

How does LSU compare right now to the rest of the SEC? In a fourteen team ranking of the SEC teams, how would you rank 'em?

1) Alabama - If any other SEC team wants to change this, well then beat 'em.

2) South Carolina - Extremely impressive as the season progresses. Getting better and better. Especially on the lines.

3) Florida - Quality SEC road wins and took down a highly touted SEC foe at home.

4) LSU - Despite the numerous flaws, was within one score in only loss on road vs top 10 SEC opponent.

5) Georgia - Got routed by a very good USCe team. Might have been fool's gold all along though.

6) Texas A&M - Playing well so far in their first SEC season. Need more depth though to be serious contenders.

7) Mississippi State - They are on pace to have a really nice season, by MSU standards at least.

8) Tennessee - This is a team on the rise. A team that is still rebuilding though.

9) Ole Miss - Another team on the rise. But really they could only go up. They play well then wear out. Another needing depth.

10) Arkansas - Playing better now as the season progresses. Expect them to be a tough out later in the season.

11) Vanderbilt - They beat Missiouri yesterday! hahahaha

12) Missouri - they lost to Vanderbilt yesterday! hahahaha

13) Auburn - WTF happened here!?

14) Kentucky - Just waiting for basketball season to start, as usual.

I think you about nailed it. Bama and USC look to be the tops in the league right now. UF is making some noise. I think even with LSUs current scoring woes, they are better overall than UGA who rounds out the top 5. Tenn, aTm, and my Bullies are the next three, in what order is anyone's guess. Ole Miss might be in the previous group, but seems to lack the staying power to finish a game. Arkansas is a mystery, I think they can still beat some teams if they can find some kind of defense. Vandy, KY, Aub, and Mizzou are in a pillow fight for the bottom.

Vandy, KY, Aub, and Mizzou are in a pillow fight for the bottom.

nice turn of phrase. I got a good laugh out of that one.

Question. Why do we have absolutly no offense? Without any offense I would put us about 8th. Anyone that can score 2 TD's on us can win ( and that should never, ever be the case). Time for the O to step it up a "LOT".

My list and the Florida forum lists look almost exactly like the OP list. I coded up a statistical ranking system with my college engineering buddies using what we think is an algorithm similar to Jeff Sagarin's "ELO Chess" model. Here is how I rate the SEC teams. My rankings tend to fall in line with Sagarin and the polls, because they derive numbers from them. My algorithm has some SEC bias, because that is all I have time to account for.

1. Alabama. #1 in the poll. #1 in total defense. #68 in total offense. #24- SOS. Dismantled B1G Michigan, destroyed then-top 5 Arkansas, and is efficient in all phases. The schedulers were too kind to Alabama (and Georgia), so they have their first SEC West test against an angry LSU team in November. They can cruise until then.

2. South Carolina. #3 in the poll. #11 in total defense. #63 in total offense. #32+ SOS. Yay for the C0cks. They get an angry LSU team in their home, then travel into the Swamp. They control their SEC East destiny.

3. Florida. #4 in the poll. #12 in total defense. #88 in total offense. #10 SOS. No passing offense = reality check against SC in two weeks.

4. LSU. #9 in the polls. #3 in total defense. #76 in total offense. #16+ SOS. I am just as surprised as you are. The outsider here foresees LSU settling in right about here in the polls and taking care of SC before having to get kicked in the teeth by Alabama. If anyone can beat Alabama, it is LSU. In terms of size and overall depth, nobody else comes close.

5. Georgia. #14 in the polls. #51 in total defense. #24 in total offense. #17 SOS. I love watching the Leghumpers lose to Steve Spurrier. They have all the athletes, size, speed, and balance, but crappy coaching and cocky QB.

6. Texas A&M. #22 in the polls. #45 total in total defense. #12 in total offense. #14+ SOS. Welcome to the SEC. Gets the edge over Miss. State due to SOS and keeping it close against #4 Florida and exploding on Arkansas. They still have LSU, Miss. State, and Alabama to test.

7. Mississippi State. #19 in the polls. #25 in total defense. #64 in total offense. #68+ SOS. I purposely kept Miss. State below aTm because they will get the meat of their schedule with Alabama, aTm, and LSU.

8. Tennessee. "#28 in my poll". #86 in total defense. #17 in total offense. #19 SOS. They are getting better, but need balance on offense.

9. Ole Miss. "#50 in my poll". #56 in total defense. #42 in total offense. #13 SOS. At least they kept it close against aTm. Please smash Auburn and Arkansas, just to shut those clowns up. Have fun wrapping up the season with back-to-back LSU and Miss St.

10. Arkansas. "#60 in my poll". #110 total defense. #60 in total offense. #7 SOS. Abandon ship!

11. Vanderbilt. "#64 in my poll". #33 in total defense. #90 in total offense. #12 SOS. Vandy has a shot at jumping over Arkansas. Just expose Florida's lack of a passing offense, and they are back in the "not the bottom of the bottom, but top of the bottom" class.

12. Missouri. "#65 in my poll". #26 in total defense. #95 in total offense. #20 SOS. Downright embarrassing. I guess Mizzou joined the SEC for baseball and basketball.

13. Auburn. "#61 in my poll". #75 in total defense. #113 in total offense. #18 SOS. Somebody has to be in the bottom of the pile, and it might as well be the cheaters from the single wide trailer park school. If Auburn does not blow the doors out of Ole Miss and Vandy, then expect Gene Chizik to get a yellow card. The red card will come if the losses to aTm, UGA, and Bama look extraordinarily ugly.

14. Kentucky. "#91 in my poll". #69 in total defense. #104 in total offense. #22 SOS. Mizzou says "save me a spot in the I'm-a-basketball/baseball-school seat".