Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Geauxtigs

Breiden Fehoko, Possible Transfer to LSU

10 posts in this topic

:OLDSKULE: Fehoko is a 6-3, 287 DT/DE who is transferring from Texas Tech and looking for a new home.  Originally from Honolulu, Hawaii and played at Farrington HS.  He's a sophomore and has started all 25 games he played at TT the last two years.  He was pretty highly ranked out of HS as well, the 247 composite #8 OT prospect in the nation and the #62 overall prospect in the 2015 class.  Like Fruhmorgen, he'll have to sit out this season and would be eligible in 2018.  So far appears that Old Piss and Louisville are also interested and will get visits from Fehoko, who has also said he's working on scheduling a visit to LSU.  Sounds like he just wants a change of scenery and play on a bigger stage.  Interesting that he also had two brothers who played previously at Texas Tech.  Would be a nice pickup to go along with Fruhmorgen, especially with the DL players LSU loses after next season.  Frank Herron, Greg Gilmore, Christian Lacouture and Deondre Clark, all seniors for the upcoming season, will all be gone along with Arden Key.  The Tigers could use this kid.  :LSUTIGER:

http://www.nola.com/lsu/index.ssf/2017/02/lsu_football_transfers_clemson.html#incart_river_index

Edited by Geauxtigs

Dandy Don reports Fehoko and his family had a great visit at LSU, and LSU is currently his favorite.  But, he will take his visit to Georgia.  As reported,  he'll have to sit out this season and would be eligible in 2018.

:OLDSKULE:  Outstanding pickup for the Tigers!  Coach O and Pete Jenkins did a great job in recruiting this kid.  He'll provide instant depth on the DL in 2018, especially after losing Lacouture, Herron, Gilmore and Deondre Clark after this season.  Welcome aboard big man!!  :LSUTIGER:

http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/sports/lsu/article_63be2d7e-2385-11e7-a8ad-f335cc2a526a.html

http://www.nola.com/lsu/index.ssf/2017/04/lsu_receives_transfer_from_for.html#incart_river_index

Any insight on why the transfer? He played tons at Tech. I saw the article about him wanting to play on a team that could get him ready for the NFL. Wondering if there is more to the story.  If you watch him film, very quick for a big man.

EDIT: Well ask a question. Doesn't appear to be any more to the story.

You started all your 25 games at Texas Tech. This is kind of unusual. Most guys leave for playing time. Why did you decide to leave despite playing so much there?

To me, I kind of figured out and matured over time. When I was younger, going through the process a big thing was, ‘Man, I want to play.’ High school, you’re a bit-time recruit, sought after. There’s never a time where you had to sit behind someone or take the back seat. I was always into playing early and getting on the field and getting my name out there, but as I got older and realized, ‘Hey, you know what? I don’t have that much time left.’

To me, it’s quality over quantity. That’s the most basic way I can put it, the best way I can put it. I said to myself, ‘If I want to up my game, I got to put more quality into my technique and development.’ The Big 12, their style of play goes so fast. You’re playing 60-70 snaps a game. You kind of lose track a little bit, you get tired. It’s not normal for a D-lineman to take those amount of snaps where compared to the SEC where you’re playing 30-50 snaps a game. More pro-style. You’re playing against great competition and you get the chance to show your technique every day.

That’s one thing that really made me make up my mind. I said, ‘You know what? I want to play in the SEC. I need to play in the SEC.’ That’s what it’s going to take. I’m confident in my decision, and I’m looking forward to getting to work.

I know both of your older brothers, Sam and BJ, played at Texas Tech so how did they take the news you were transferring?

It was tough personally for me. Coach (Kliff) Kingsbury has been a great coach, great father figure on the field and off the field. It was tough. This was a personal decision on my behalf, had nothing to do with anything or anyone at Texas Tech. Nobody was at fault, nothing went wrong. I wanted to do this for the best of my future.

I couldn’t thank them enough for the opportunity they’ve given me. I wish them well this season, hope to see them go far. They have a great team. Like I said, I got more mature and I notice the style of play and how different it was and the amount of guys that get drafted and how far ahead (LSU/SEC) of technique they are. I wanted to be apart of that.

http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/sports/lsu/article_722b132c-23d5-11e7-8798-07ba8459a6fa.html?90

Edited by Hatchertiger

Why the transfer?  I also read a piece that indicated that given how poor the Tech defense ranked, he was concerned he was not getting the right coaching to progress to the NFL.  He thought he would get that in the SEC.  After talking to Orgeron and Pete Jenkins, he decided to come to LSU.  That seems an imminently reasonable thing to do.