Sign in to follow this  
Nutriaitch

SEC coaching changes

welp, gonna be a busy next few weeks in this conference

Florida
Arkansas
A&M
Ole Miss

jobs up for grabs right now. (Tennessee too, but we don't play them every year, so don't care)

Florida reportedly hiring Mullen as early as today.
that means Miss State job will be open.

Arkansas for some reason is confident they can land Gus (i don't see it, but who knows)
that would make the Auburn job available too.

so it's possible that every single permanent opponent we have (not named Bama) is replacing their coach this offseason.

edit to add: yes I know we have a topic on the other forum about coaching carousel, but this one if for schools that have a more direct impact on LSU.

Edited by Nutriaitch

Florida landing Mullen could be a homerun for them.

I'm impressed with what he did at Mississippi State.
going somewhere with deeper pockets, and a much larger recruiting pool could be scary.

30 minutes ago, Nutriaitch said:

Florida landing Mullen could be a homerun for them.

I'm impressed with what he did at Mississippi State.
going somewhere with deeper pockets, and a much larger recruiting pool could be scary.

He should win the East every year. 

If a coach is in the mix for a job at a school, the school may want him, doesn't go both ways. If a school says, he out of the running, means he turned down that school. A school doesn't want it known that they were turned down by a coach. They may say, we are going in another direction. 

55 minutes ago, LSUDad said:

If a coach is in the mix for a job at a school, the school may want him, doesn't go both ways. If a school says, he out of the running, means he turned down that school. A school doesn't want it known that they were turned down by a coach. They may say, we are going in another direction. 

i take most reports like these with a grain of salt. 

lots of times “feelers” are sent out. 

some of those are just lip service to appease the fans. 

meaning the school doesn’t actually want the guy, just making it look like they doing their due dilligence. 

other times it’s a “courtesy” interview. 

for example, LSU interviewed RC Slocum after Saban bolted. Slocum was never an actual candidate though.  Just interviewed as a favor. 

5 minutes ago, Nutriaitch said:

i take most reports like these with a grain of salt. 

lots of times “feelers” are sent out. 

some of those are just lip service to appease the fans. 

meaning the school doesn’t actually want the guy, just making it look like they doing their due dilligence. 

other times it’s a “courtesy” interview. 

for example, LSU interviewed RC Slocum after Saban bolted. Slocum was never an actual candidate though.  Just interviewed as a favor. 

Yep, many times their agent will throw names out, to bump up pay. 

The SEC may lose another HC. Go West young man. And not the SEC West, keep going. 

Mullen to Florida is official. 

great hire by them if you ask me. 

dont know which way MSU goes from here. 

anyone keeping up with the Schiano to Tennessee mess?

fans are already protesting, state legislature is getting involved to try to shoot this hire down. 

Shiano reportedly having major 2nd thoughts due to backlash. 

if you thought knoxville was toxic before today, you probably ain’t seen nothing yet. 

NOBODY will want this gig now 

Tenn job is not in the top 5 of the SEC. look at the hires since Phil left, that will tell you something. 

I didn't think this would happen, but it is being reported over here:

In a move that could shake up the college football landscape, Florida State coach Jimbo Fisher is reportedly headed to fill the opening at Texas A&M, according to Randy McIlvoy of KPRC.

There is reportedly a deal in place for Fisher to make at least $7.5 million per year over five seasons.

The Aggies fired head coach Kevin Sumlin on Sunday after he spent six seasons with the team, per Sam Khan Jr. of ESPN.

Brent Zwerneman of the Houston Chronicle reported Sunday that Fisher was the top candidate to replace Sumlin, noting insiders believe he will eventually end up in College Station. He previously worked with Texas A&M athletic director Scott Woodward, and they reportedly still have a good relationship.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2746133-report-jimbo-fisher-to-leave-fsu-has-texas-am-deal-after-kevin-sumlin-firing

Jimbo should go 6-6 this year, good work if he can parlay that into a 5-year $47 million contract with A&M.

I looked at some FSU boards, most would like to keep him, but see him make changes on his staff.  Some say he wanted to make changes after last season but the admin told him no more money to spend on the staff, and Jimbo may be mad at them.  How did he end up having to start a freshman QB all season after his starter got hurt?  Mistake, he should have had more QB's in the fold, spaced better.

Edited by houtiger

12 minutes ago, LSUDad said:

Tenn job is not in the top 5 of the SEC. look at the hires since Phil left, that will tell you something. 

actually their hires hadn’t been horrible. 

Kiffin on surface wasn’t a horrendous hire. 

neither was Butch Jones. 

obviously they both ended in disasters. 

13 minutes ago, Nutriaitch said:

actually their hires hadn’t been horrible. 

Kiffin on surface wasn’t a horrendous hire. 

neither was Butch Jones. 

obviously they both ended in disasters. 

Would you hire Jones or Kiffin at LSU? Jones hasn't beaten an SEC West team since he's been there. 

Edited by LSUDad

5 minutes ago, LSUDad said:

Would you hire Jones or Kiffin at LSU? Jones hasn't beaten an SEC West team since he's been there. 

we talking now or back at the time Tennessee hired them?

if we talking at the time Tennessee did:

Kiffen - probably not. he didn’t have enough HC (and none as a college HC) experience IMO. and i’ve gone on record a few times saying i don’t like guys getting their first gig at a big time program  

Jones - wouldn’t be my first choice, but he was a hot up and comer.  was a steady winner at two different lower tiered FBS schools (won conf champs at both schools)

2 minutes ago, LSUDad said:

Jimbo, a done deal? 

[censored]!

Some are saying a done deal, other calling BS. 

Old Mrs,  has made the move, Matt Luke and will make him the school’s permanent coach moving forward.

Jenkins out, Johnson in as DL coach 

Shea Dixon - 105 minutes ago 

(Photo: LSUNow.com)

Pete Jenkins, LSU’s legendary defensive line coach, will retire at the conclusion of the season, head coach Ed Orgeron announced on Sunday.

Jenkins will remain with the Tigers through the bowl game. Dennis Johnson, who currently coaches the LSU outside linebackers, will take over as defensive line coach for the Tigers following the bowl game.

“We are forever grateful for Coach Jenkins and his 15 years of service to LSU,” Orgeron said. “Coach Jenkins is one of the most respected coaches in football when it comes to defensive play.

“The LSU football program benefitted and improved because of Coach Jenkins. Our defensive line played at an extremely high level throughout the 2017 season due to the teaching, technique and expectations he instilled on his players.”

Jenkins, who joined the Tigers in September of 2016 when Orgeron took over the program, is in his third stint with LSU. He first joined the Tigers in 1980 and remained with the program for 11 years, serving as defensive line coach and taking on defensive coordinator duties in 1982 and then again from 1987-90.

“Outside of my family, the greatest thing that has happened to Pete Jenkins is LSU football,” Jenkins said. “It was my dream to be able to coach at LSU and I’ve been fortunate enough to do it on three different occasions.”

After his first 11-year run with the Tigers, Jenkins returned to LSU in 2000, serving as defensive line coach for two years. LSU won its first Southeastern Conference title since 1988 in 2001 when the Tigers knocked off second-ranked Tennessee in the league’s title game.

Jenkins’ coaching career includes 22 years in the SEC and three seasons in the NFL. His coaching career began in 1964 at Warner-Robbins High School in Georgia.

At the collegiate level, Jenkins was part of 14 bowl games, including nine with the Tigers. He also coached two NFL playoff teams. More than 30 defensive linemen who played for Jenkins at the collegiate level went on to play in the NFL, including former Tigers Henry Thomas, Roland Barbay, Jarvis Green, Marcus Spears, Davon Godchaux, Lewis Neal and Tashawn Bower.

“When I came back last year, my hope was to be helpful to Coach O,” Jenkins said. “He’s been so good to me. I really appreciate the opportunity to come back. Being 76 (years old), I wouldn’t have come back to for anyone but Coach O. I feel great about the direction Coach O has the program headed and the things that he’s doing.

“There are so many special memories for me and my family at LSU. I’ve been truly blessed. There’s no place better on a Saturday night than Tiger Stadium and I will always be a Tiger. The timing is right. I just can’t express how much LSU football means to me.”

3 hours ago, Nutriaitch said:

anyone keeping up with the Schiano to Tennessee mess?

fans are already protesting, state legislature is getting involved to try to shoot this hire down. 

Shiano reportedly having major 2nd thoughts due to backlash. 

if you thought knoxville was toxic before today, you probably ain’t seen nothing yet. 

NOBODY will want this gig now 

The tweets by former players like Albert Haynesworth are hysterical.  Basically saying that is they hire Schiano, he's going to find another college team that gives a $h!t

Edited by Herb

43 minutes ago, Herb said:

this tweet basically proves what i’ve been saying since this crap started breaking

this backlash is not about Schiano’s (very flimsy) connection to the Ped St scandal. it’s because his name isn’t Jon Gruden. 

even Haynesworth’s tweet says it all. 

its about football and nothing else. 

1 hour ago, Fishhead said:

Pretty sure Jimbo turned TAMU down, actually

Yep, gonna stay at FSU. They had some BS saying a done deal. Turned out BS. 

Not a good time to be looking for a coach, too many good jobs open, not enough good coaches. 

7 hours ago, Nutriaitch said:

this tweet basically proves what i’ve been saying since this crap started breaking

this backlash is not about Schiano’s (very flimsy) connection to the Ped St scandal. it’s because his name isn’t Jon Gruden. 

even Haynesworth’s tweet says it all. 

its about football and nothing else. 

Schiano is a dirty coach. Period.

Part of the issue with the Tennessee faithful surrounds the time that when he was HC of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, he sent a full rush to hit Payton Manning when Manning was kneeling in victory formation. 

The Gruden delusion is definitely part of it, but Schiano teaches dirty football (not that Haynesworth is clean there) and part of that involved an incident with arguably the "face" of Voluteer football in modern times.