Sign in to follow this  
LSUDad

Early Signing Day, LSU Football, Who Signs

Here's a look at which LSU football commits are likely to sign early, and who's waiting

Posted November 29, 2017 at 02:36 PM | Updated November 29, 2017 at 07:31 PM
Comment

By James Smith

For the first time, the NCAA will allow early signing in football, which was designated as a three day window to take place on Dec. 20-22. There are a lot of unknowns regarding the new rule, but one thing is certain -- schools expect most of its commitments to sign on that date.
LSU is no different, as the Tigers are looking at signing 20 or more prospects on that date, which would have a major impact on how the month of January unfolds, which is typically chaos in the recruiting world. We have done some homework, and this is how things are looking for the Tigers top targets and commitments.

Likely to sign:
Cole Smith.jpg
Cole Smith, OL, Mississippi, 6-4, 280, LSU commit
Smith is planning on signing with LSU during the early signing period.
Damone Clark4.jpg
Damone Clark, LB, Southern Lab, 6-2, 210, LSU commit
Clark's recruitment appears to have ended, with LSU expecting a signature in a few weeks.

Tae Provens, RB, Alabama, 5-11, 190, LSU commit
Provens is expected to send his paperwork in once the calendar turns to Dec. 20.

Micah Baskerville, LB, Evangel, 6-2, 215, LSU commit
Baskerville's recruitment does not appear to be taking a turn, so expect him to sign early.

Davin Cotton, DL, Evangel, 6-2, 270, LSU commit
Cotton appears locked in with LSU, so a signature should be received in Dec. 20.
Zach Sheffer, TE, Florida, 6-3, 225, LSU commit
Sheffer is expected to send in his paperwork as soon as he can when the early signing period begins.

Dare Rosenthal, ATH, Ferriday, 6-7, 320, LSU commit
Rosenthal appears firm in his pledge, and is likely to make it official Dec. 20.

James Smith
Nelson Jenkins, DL, Plaquemine, 6-3, 295, LSU commit
Jenkins has shut down his recruitment and will sign with LSU on December 20.

James Smith
Jaray Jenkins, WR, Jena, 6-1, 180, LSU commit
Jaray Jenkins is firm in his commitment, and is expected to sign on the line come December.

James Smith
Devonta Jason, WR, Landry-Walker, 6-3, 215, Mississippi State
Jason is planning on enrolling early and finalizing his decision during the early signing period.
Dantrieze Scott, ATH, Ferriday, 6-5, 245, LSU commit
There isn't anything out there that would lead us to believe Scott elects to withhold his signature in December.

James Smith
Kenan Jones, WR, Berwick, 6-3, 205, LSU commit
Jones' recruitment is all but over, and his signature is expected once early signing begins.

Terrace Marshall Jr., WR, Parkway, 6-3, 200
Marshall is scheduled to sign on December 22 during an announcement party at Parkway.
Jarell Cherry, OLB, Texas, 6-3, 225, LSU commit
Cherry has been quiet in his recruitment, but it appears that everything is in order for him to sign in December.

Cameron Wire, OT, East Ascension, 6-6, 280, LSU commit
WIre is expected to officially end his recruitment when the early signing period begins.

Chasen Hines, NG, Texas, 6-2, 330, LSU commit
Hines has remained solid in his pledge and there is no reason to believe that he won't sign during the 3-day stretch of early signing.
Damien Lewis, OG, JUCO, 6-3, 320, LSU commit
Everything seems to be lined up for Lewis to officially sign on Dec. 20.

O was against the early signing day, since he said you have to gear up two times for it, during bowl preparation.  I can see his point.  On the other hand, it seems like it will give some certainty.  You know exactly what the core of your class will be, and for targets considering other schools, if they commit and sign early with them, you know exactly who to take off your board in the last 6 weeks of recruiting.

I think it's a win, win move. Yep, get the hay in the barn early. Once you lock in the kids, from there, fill the spots. 

This early signing also helps with talent evaluations. Find the best players, before they get the 4 and 5 star ratings, then you don't have to hold your breath till signing day in Feb. 

LSU has somewhere around 20 verbals, they are expecting most, if not all to sign. During this period. Talking with a few friends, looks like the Bayou Bash is a thing of the past. Instead, a sit down meal, with a full breakdown of each player. This is what they are looking at now. Will keep y'all up to date. 

52 minutes ago, LSUDad said:

LSU has somewhere around 20 verbals, they are expecting most, if not all to sign. During this period. Talking with a few friends, looks like the Bayou Bash is a thing of the past. Instead, a sit down meal, with a full breakdown of each player. This is what they are looking at now. Will keep y'all up to date. 

I can see where this presents a distraction during bowl preparation, but I also see where it delivers some certainty going into national signing day.  I would think after they go through it, they may all start to like it.  You won't have to worry about protecting your verbals and having one of the flip on the big signing day, like Janzen Jackson did a few years ago.  I read that if a verbal does not sign in the early period, we could potentially see if we could get a higher rated kid to take his spot if he's not really committed to LSU.  I think all the 3* will sign to ensure they have a spot somewhere.  I think it will give both the university and the players that sign early, greater certainty, and that's generally a good thing.

1 hour ago, houtiger said:

I can see where this presents a distraction during bowl preparation, but I also see where it delivers some certainty going into national signing day.  I would think after they go through it, they may all start to like it.  You won't have to worry about protecting your verbals and having one of the flip on the big signing day, like Janzen Jackson did a few years ago.  I read that if a verbal does not sign in the early period, we could potentially see if we could get a higher rated kid to take his spot if he's not really committed to LSU.  I think all the 3* will sign to ensure they have a spot somewhere.  I think it will give both the university and the players that sign early, greater certainty, and that's generally a good thing.

Janzen Jackson was a Clown, a problem child. I often talk about the ones you are kind of happy they sign somewhere else, case in point. 

1 hour ago, LSUDad said:

Janzen Jackson was a Clown, a problem child. I often talk about the ones you are kind of happy they sign somewhere else, case in point. 

Convicted of voluntary manslaughter, and sentenced:

Mar 9, 2017 - LOS ANGELES, CA -- A former college football player was sentenced Thursday to 11 years in state prison for strangling his mother's boyfriend in a Santa Monica apartment.

Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Bernie La Forteza imposed the maximum term on Janzen Jackson, 26, who was convicted of voluntary manslaughter for Frank Herrera's September 2013 killing.

"The defendant brutally killed Mr. Herrera using three separate ligatures," the judge said, adding that Jackson dragged Herrera's body to the victim's car and drove it to South Los Angeles, leaving the remains inside to decompose. "Here the defendant committed a very heinous act in killing the victim through strangulation."

Shortly before being sentenced, Jackson said, "I am deeply sorry for what has happened ... It was a tragedy that someone lost his life."

Jackson -- who played college football for the University of Tennessee and McNeese State University before going on to play for the Toronto Argonauts -- maintained that the killing happened in self-defense.

https://patch.com/california/santamonica/ex-college-football-player-gets-11-year-prison-term-killing-mothers-boyfriend

6 hours ago, houtiger said:

Convicted of voluntary manslaughter, and sentenced:

Kiffen's recruiting jewel.

Ok, LSU has 3 kids that transferred in, sat out this season, they will count on the 85 limit. Since some JC kids will get in for Spring, they too will be counted back and add to the 85 limit. Word I got, 2 of the 3 JC kids will be in for Spring, one still has a little classroom work to do. But should be good to go in the Fall. O and the staff have really done a great job with this class. Got some word we may have a Sr Grad, RB that may end up at LSU, and can play this season. Haven't made a call lately, but that's one guy that could help right away. 

Will keep y'all up to date, been down in Pierre Part, don't get much info down here. I'm supposed to fly out Sunday Evening, a little vacation out East. Be gone for a week or so. Talking about two trips in the next couple weeks down to the Rio Grande Valley. Then I got Christmas and New Years. A busy time. 

16 hours ago, watson18 said:

Any word on who is replacing Thomas? 

Made a call to a friend today, haven't heard back. 

Here's a good article on recruiting in La., what positions we're good at producing, and which ones we are not.  When you look at the national rankings, in sheer numbers, its TX, California, Florida, Georgia.

http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/sports/lsu/article_e545b7d2-db76-11e7-bf5e-574401f88855.html

Just Cause I have talked with a good friend this morning, it looks like LSU is going to do very well in the early signing day. It looks like three of the big names should hit. As always, you are dealing with kids. So anything possible. 

These Men signing, during this early signing period, could leave only a few spots left on the big board. Lest see if O and the staff, Capitalize early. You will get my drift after the early signing day. The third name escapes me, but hang on folks, I love this time of the year. 

To add, I found this one. 

What LSU fans need to know about the early signing period

The inaugural early signing period gets underway on Wednesday, Dec. 20 and lasts through Friday, Dec. 22.

Expect the majority of the commitments embedded in LSU’s 2018 recruiting class to put the pen to paper and sign their letters of intent on Wednesday, or sometime in that timeframe. It should leave Ed Orgeron and Co. recruiting just a handful of prospects over the final five weeks of the calendar for limited spots.

SEC Country projects 20 signatures for LSU by the time Christmas Eve rolls around, leaving five spots up for grabs for National Signing Day, scheduled for Feb. 7.

Until then, here’s everything you need to know about the early signing period:

What is the early signing period?

The NCAA implemented the early signing period back in May. It is a 72-hour window in which recruits have an opportunity to sign their letters of intent two months earlier than the usual event on the first Wednesday in February.

Other sports such as basketball have multiple signing periods, but this is the first time for football. Early enrollees have been able to sign their letters of intent and financial aid paperwork in December for years.

When is the early signing period?

The early signing period begins on Wednesday, Dec. 20 and runs through Friday, Dec. 22. Expect the majority of LSU’s 2018 commitments to sign their letters of intent on that first day of the signing period. Only a handful will wait it out on Dec. 22.

Which LSU commitments are signing during the early signing period?

The majority of the Tigers’ 2018 verbal commitments are set to become signees on Dec. 20. Here’s the list of confirmed early signees:

• Jarell Cherry, 4-star DE (Dallas)
  • Micah Baskerville, 4-star LB (Shreveport, La.)
  • Badara Traore, 4-star OT (Brooklyn, N.Y.)
  • Chasen Hines, 4-star DT (Marshall, Texas)
  • Davin Cotton, 4-star DL (Shreveport, La.)
  • Kenan Jones, 4-star WR (Berwick, La.)
  • Chris Curry, 4-star RB (Lehigh Acres, Fla.)
  • Damone Clark, 4-star LB (Baton Rouge, La.)
  • Jaray Jenkins, 4-star WR (Jena, La.)
  • Travez Moore, 3-star DE (Wesson, Miss.)
  • Dare Rosenthal, 3-star DL (Ferriday, La.)
  • Cameron Wire, 3-star OT (Gonzales, La.)
  • Cole Smith, 3-star OL (Pontotoc, Miss.)
  • Dominic Livingston, 3-star DT (Houston)
  • Zach Sheffer, 3-star H-back (Ponte Vedra Beach, Fla.)
  • Nelson Jenkins, 3-star DL (Plaquemine, La.)
  • Tae Provens, 3-star RB (Gurley, Ala.)
  • Dantrieze Scott, 3-star DE (Ferriday, La.)
  • Damien Lewis, 3-star OL (Senatobia, Miss.)

Which LSU commitments aren’t signing during the early signing period?

One one current LSU commitment has informed SEC Country of his plans not sign his letter of intent during the early signing period.

• Ar’Darius Washington, 3-star DB (Shreveport, La.)

Which LSU commitments are enrolling early?

LSU is set for its biggest haul of early enrollees in this class. That number could be greater if 4-star cornerback Anthony Cook, 5-star wide receiver Terrace Marshall Jr. or 4-star wide receiver Devonta Jason commit to LSU during the early signing period.

Cook and Jason will announce their decisions on Dec. 20, while Marshall’s decision will be nationally televised on Dec. 22.

• Micah Baskerville, 4-star LB (Shreveport, La.)
  • Badara Traore, 4-star OT (Brooklyn, N.Y.)
  • Davin Cotton, 4-star DL (Shreveport, La.)
  • Travez Moore, 3-star DE (Wesson, Miss.)
  • Cole Smith, 3-star OL (Pontotoc, Miss.)
  • Tae Provens, 3-star RB (Gurley, Ala.)
  • Damien Lewis, 3-star OL (Senatobia, Miss.)

Lots of meat on the bone in that post Dad, thanks!  I want to see Terrance Marshall sign with LSU, to have a successful foray up into N. La., and he's a 5*.  We need a QB, a RB, and Patrick Surtain at CB (5*) after the early signing period.  Any other top targets in the final 5 spots?

Ok, the magic number is 20, look for around this number. Some might not sign till Thursday or Friday, which is allowed. Hang on folks, gonna be a ride. 

Look for, much like a normal Feb signing day. Signings will come in early. Most before the noon time. 

I will enjoy the certainty this signing day provides.  Then the drama will really rise for the remaining top talent that is holding out until Feb.  This could mean the difference between a championship season and a 3 loss season.

LSU

LSU may sign all 20 commitments in new, early signing period that begins Wednesday

Aa
_Glenn Guilbeau | USA TODAY NetworkUpdated 4 hours ago

BATON ROUGE — At first, LSU football coach Ed Orgeron did not like the idea of an early signing period, which begins Wednesday for the first time and runs through Friday with the usual signing day on the first weekend of February following up on Feb. 7.

He thought it put too much pressure on players to make their decision early and pushed coaches into recruiting during bowl preparation.

636446189385274628-LSUcelebrate.jpg
LSU Tigers head coach Ed Orgeron celebrates with his players after a game against the Ole Miss ...more
Matt Bush/USA TODAY Sports

"You have to adjust," said Orgeron, who is apparently quite the multitasker as he expects to sign most or all of his 20 commitments for the Class of 2018 either Wednesday or in the two days that follow. LSU expects to sign 25 by Feb. 7, maybe more if current LSU players transfer.

"Now, I look at it as a positive," he said. "If we sign the guys we expect to sign, it gives you time to target in on the big-time guys and spend more time with them. You can go to a school for a whole day and hang out now and see two or three guys in a day."  

And Orgeron, who has always loved recruiting, likes to pass a good time while recruiting. When he first became Ole Miss' head coach after the 2004 season, he lifted weights with players at Bastrop High.

"Ed's been here, recruiting every player in the building," former Bastrop coach Brad Bradshaw said at the time.

Recruiting home visits can mean meals ... and more meals. And now it's spread out over more time, which can be healthier.

"I like it myself, especially when I go to one home, and there's some gumbo. Then I went to the next home, and there was the best red beans and rice and fried chicken and corn bread I've eaten in a long time," he said. "I'm going to need some bigger pants. Besides that, it's fun. I enjoy it."But it is different.

"It's sped up," he said. "The big thing is going out and getting those guys that are committed to us signed on Dec. 20. There are a lot of guys who won't be offered scholarships on Dec. 20 even though we may want them. Some guys may want to transfer from LSU. We just don't know all of that yet. There are a lot of variables. I'm sure there will be some surprises. It opens the window to see how many scholarships you have left — what positions you need to fill. But it speeds up everything. We've been recruiting every day, which I love, so let's go get it."

Once his 18 or 20 are in by the end of this week, Orgeron and his staff can get started earlier than in the past on the Class of 2019. And Louisiana's prospects for 2019 are expected to be among the best group in several years in the state.

"The last part of recruiting will be more junior recruiting for us," he said. "It gives you an advantage on junior recruiting, and we've always said that 2019 is going to be a great year in Louisiana. And you can see that from the new reports coming in."

LSU's class of 20 commitments is ranked No. 11 by Rivals.com.

"The class is shaping up reasonably well," recruiting expert Michael Scarborough of TigerBait.com/Rivals.com said. "But there's still question marks at the quarterback and running back positions. The defensive back group will finish strong, and that should have LSU's class strongly inside the top 10 nationally."

There are no quarterbacks and just one running back in LSU's class at the moment.

LSU's 20 COMMITMENTS FOR 2018 CLASS: The following is LSU's list of 20 commitments for the Class of 2018, but most if not all of these are expected to sign on Wednesday or in the two following days of the early signing period. (The players' Rivals.com national position ranking is listed if there is one, followed by the position, name, height, weight, high school or junior college, hometown or school town and home state if not Louisiana.)

►No. 39 DT Dominic Livingston (6-4, 345) of Aldine Davis High in Houston, Texas, OT Badara Traore (6-6, 320) of Asa College in Brooklyn, N.Y., G Damien Lewis (6-3, 320) of Northwest Mississippi Community College in Senatobia, Mississippi, No. 21 TE Zach Sheffer (6-3, 221) of Nease High in Ponte Vedra, Florida, No. 27 TB Tae Provens (6-0, 181) of Madison County High in Gurley, Alabama, No. 7 DE Jarell Cherry (6-3, 226) of Carter High in Dallas, Texas.

►No. 24 DT Dare Rosenthal (6-7, 314) of Ferriday High in Ferriday, No. 49 WR Kenan Jones (6-2, 205) of Berwick High in Berwick, WR Jaray Jenkins (6-1, 175) of Jena High in Jena, No. 50 TB Chris Curry (5-11, 205) of Lehigh High in Lehigh Acres, Florida, CB Ardarius Washington (5-10, 175) of Evangel in Shreveport, No. 10 guard Chasen Hines (6-3, 310) of Marshall High in Marshall, Texas, No. 20 OLB Micah Baskerville (6-2, 215) of Evangel in Shreveport.

►Athlete Dantrieze Scott (6-5, 225) of Ferriday High in Ferriday, LB Travez Moore (6-6, 255) of Copiah-Lincoln Community College in Wesson, Mississippi, No. 44 OT Cameron Wire (6-7, 260) of East Ascension High in Gonzales, No. 23 DT Davin Cotton (6-3, 275) of Evangel in Shreveport, No. 18 OLB Damone Clark (6-2, 215) of Southern Lab in Baton Rouge, C Cole Smith (6-4, 275) of Pontotoc High in Pontotoc, Mississippi, DT Nelson Jenkins (6-4, 290) of Copiah-Lincoln Community College in Wesson, Mississippi. 

Of the 16 LSU football signees announced before noon Wednesday, five of them play in the middle of the defensive line.

Which was how defensive coordinator Dave Aranda expected things to unfold on the first day of the early signing period.

"We need the ability to dominate inside, and we need to rebuild our lines," he said on the Hold That Tigers signing day show streamed on the LSU website. "I felt that we did that. I'm excited that we did that."

LSU played at times with a defensive line thinned by injuries early in the season, which had coach Ed Orgeron saying during the season how the Tigers needed to build depth along the line during this signing period.

The Tigers play a 3-4 defense and after this season will have Ed Alexander as the only defensive tackle with extensive experience at the position, along with Glen Logan, who played at tackle and end this season.

LSU also will have Texas Tech transfer Breiden Fehoko eligible to play after being limited to only practices in 2017.

The five defensive tackles LSU signed Wednesday all came out of high school, including four-star-rated prospects Chasen Hines out of Marshall, Texas; Davin Cotton out of Evangel Christian in Shreveport.

The other three are Dare Rosenthal out of Ferriday, Dominic Livingston out of Aldine Davis in Houston and Nelson Jenkins out of Plaquemine.

"You look at Chasen Hines, Dare, Nelson, they're all downhill people," Aranda said. "They can attack the line of scrimmage. They knock back versus the run and at the same time they're able to rush the passer. We need the ability to dominate inside and we need to rebuild our lines. I felt that we did that. I'm excited that we did that."

Aranda also noted Livingston as a player who committed late in the recruiting process, with that commitment coming Dec. 8.

"Really excited about him as far as commanding double teams and pushing the pocket," he said.

Other defensive players signed before noon were junior college transfer defensive end Travez Moore out of Copiah-Lincoln Community College in Mississippi, and linebacker Micah Baskerville out of Evangel Christian.

Aranda credited Orgeron with putting a recruiting focus on creating depth along the defensive front seven, especially on the line.

"A year ago we needed linebackers," Aranda said. "This year I think it's the depth on the front. The second (emphasis) for this year I think is going to be depth in the back end, and I think we're still in the process of addressing that, and I feel comfortable and good about where that's going."

This early signing period will run through Friday, with the traditional signing period set to start with a Feb. 7 national signing day, which is when LSU is expected to shore up the rest of its class.

"The depth we got up front, especially with the down linemen, and you go to linebacker and you look at Micah and you look at Travez Moore, and having (linebacker Devin White's) presence, and someone that's been a field general inside and can communicate and run sideline to sideline, it's exciting or all those guys to come in and play right away."

Top CB Anthony Cook out of Houston signed with Texas.  WR Devonta Jackson out of New Orleans signed with Miss. St.  We really wanted Cook.

La. top WR Terrance Marshall to sign Friday at 2:30.

Edited by houtiger