Sign in to follow this  
LSUDad

Early Signing Day, LSU Football, Who Signs

I mostly agree with you, houtiger .... although I am not convinced Saban doesn't have other workarounds that involved bending the roster rules to his favor, particularly when it involves "medical hardships" and the "Bryant scholarships" for legacy recruits.     bama has consistently abused the medical hardship rules, and hiding behind the HIPPA curtain to get it done.  They use this loophole twice as often as any other SEC program .... and they use it for a reason, IMO - it gives Saban an advantage.

6 hours ago, cadillacattack said:

I mostly agree with you, houtiger .... although I am not convinced Saban doesn't have other workarounds that involved bending the roster rules to his favor, particularly when it involves "medical hardships" and the "Bryant scholarships" for legacy recruits.     bama has consistently abused the medical hardship rules, and hiding behind the HIPPA curtain to get it done.  They use this loophole twice as often as any other SEC program .... and they use it for a reason, IMO - it gives Saban an advantage.

I remember years ago, schools could put you on scholarship, for any sport. Bama had a kid playing on the football team with a swimming scholarship. If you would have pushed him into the pool, he would have drowned, he never learned how to swim. Soon after, the Bryant rule was formed. You can play any other sport, but if you play football, you are on a football scholarship. 

I think the NCAA should match total scholarships on a roster to be a multiple of 4 to a yearly cap.  So if they put a hard cap at 25 scholarships per year, the roster cap would need to go from 85 to 100. Or they could drop the total number of roster scholarships to 80 and lower the fixed yearly cap to 20. No additions for kids that leave early, transfer, flunk out, get injured, or get kicked out. No back filling, etc.,.

This actually would put emphasis on schools to target kids who can keep their grades up, stay out of trouble, and are dedicated to the school. If a school offers to kids with academic or discipline issues, they run the risk of having their roster depleted by attrition so they need to make sure someone they offer a scholarship to will stick around. Otherwise, they would need to fill depleted roster spots with walk-ons.

The teams that could be temporarily affected by this type of scheme would be the LSUs, Alabamas, and Ohio States of the world who see a high number of players leave early for the draft.  Over time this would create some parity and prevent a single school from dominating a conference or always being including in playoff selections unless those schools attract a higher caliber of walk-ons.

One benefit to this would be that schools could offer walk-ons a scholarship at some point in the future if another player on the team leaves and frees up a scholly. 

On 12/18/2017 at 11:58 AM, LSUDad said:

Just Cause I have talked with a good friend this morning, it looks like LSU is going to do very well in the early signing day. 

The Just Cause that I posted in December stood for Ja'Marr Chase. Yep, I know, a little more code. 

I think LSU made a critical mistake in recruiting at cornerback this year.  It is obvious, because we did not sign a true corner.  We put all of our eggs in the Surtain basket, mis-read the situation, and we did not have an adequate backup plan.  By the time we got the rejection and went to Goodrich, he had already written LSU off, felt the love from Clemson, committed to Clemson.  It's very hard to switch a guy at that point, especially since Clemson has played in two consecutive Nat. Championship games in 2016 and 2017.  Surtain is an out of state guy, yes he had a good relationship with Corey Raymond, but he wasn't born in La. and had that love of LSU football.  He's the #1 recruit at his position, you know who's coming after him.  I think LSU should have used a scholly on Goodrich in the early signing period, pushed on him, we have a scholly for you now, but no guarantee after that.

According to Mike Detellier on Dandy Don this AM:

I agree that it was a good class. But like the season’s loss to Notre Dame, it ended on a sour note. Losing Surtain hurt, and Goodrich too, no doubt, but LSU should have never put itself in this spot with just one cornerback. I said this here a year ago, that in every recruiting class you have to land a quarterback, a halfback, a left tackle, a center, a big man inside on defense, an edge rusher, and two cornerbacks. That leaves plenty of fill in, but cornerback, like quarterback, is a high area of attrition. LSU signed two last year but lost two to the NFL early and Xavier Lewis left to go to Southeastern Louisiana. LSU should never be in this spot to not sign cornerbacks. DBU and LSU has produced eight cornerback prospects that have been drafted into the pros since 2010. You have to rethink the best man on the board theory. In the NFL, you have other means to restock your roster either through free agency or a trade. In college football, for the present, you only can get a college graduate transfer for 2018. This is a miscalculation at a very critical spot. Orgeron had to offer Mario Goodrich earlier in the process. It’s not a "want" spot, but a "need" spot. Surtain was the best cornerback prospect as a prepster and would have helped immediately. LSU spent a lot of time and resources to land him and then Nick Saban grabs him late, but he has that national championship hardware to flash, and until you beat them, he will continue to use that.

Nick Saban on the recruiting trail:

awestruck-larry-landolfi.jpg

Recruit sees this:

323967313_640.jpg

And looks like this:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRL-ev1nXkXD0O7yW6IVsN

When they tell him about this:

america-s-strong-currency-1105319-TwoByO

Problem solved.