Sign in to follow this  
LSUDad

Lets Finish The 2018 Football Class

LSU to host 5 premier prospects for official visits this weekend

Posted January 10, 2018 at 12:59 PM | Updated January 10, 2018 at 12:57 PM
James Smith, recruiting analyst NOLA.com | The Times Picayune

The NCAA-mandated recruiting dead period is about to expire, allowing LSU to host some of its key targets down the stretch. Typically, schools like to be the last visit on a prospect's calendar, but it appears that LSU has pushed for being the first impression rather than the last in this cycle. The Tigers will host five official visitors this weekend, most of whom are top targets.

Mario Goodrich, CB, 6-2, 185, Missouri

LSU identified Mario Goodrich as a top target in December, and Goodrich instantly moved the Tigers into his top group once the offer was extended. LSU emerged as the leader in the following days, but Georgia is digging in and making things difficult for the Tigers. Goodrich will get a push for a commitment during this visit, as LSU looks to finalize its class ahead of National Signing Day, but it might be a difficult task, with one source close to Goodrich stating that he is determined to take his visit to Georgia on Jan. 19.

He also has visits scheduled to Ole Miss on Jan. 26 and Florida Feb. 2, but it looks like a two-team race between the Tigers and Bulldogs at the moment. LSU has a legitimate chance to pull this one off.

Joe Foucha7.jpg
James Smith, Photo by Chris Granger, NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune
Joe Foucha, S, 5-11, 200, McDonogh 35

Foucha's name is rarely mentioned when discussing LSU targets, but if something were to go haywire with Kelvin Joseph, look for them to strongly consider filling that spot with Foucha. The physical safety is scheduled to visit Auburn next weekend and Ole Miss on Jan. 26. This is a tricky situation, as LSU likely would have to slow-play things a bit, being that the numbers will not allow for a commitment from another safety prospect. Presenting that in a way that does not sour Foucha on the Tigers will determine where things go from here.

James Foster, QB, 6-2, 205, Alabama

LSU continues to push for a quarterback in this class, with James Foster remaining atop the list. But the Tigers have some issues to deal with, with the departure of Matt Canada as offensive coordinator being the largest obstacle to overcome. Running backs coach and recruiting coordinator Tommie Robinson is the lead recruiter for Foster, but the conversations are not your typical quarterback-offensive coordinator discussions, which often play a huge role in where they sign. I think LSU has to work some serious magic with Foster if they intend to pull this off.

Now if they do land a surprise pledge from Foster, it will change the board quite a bit, eliminating a spot that appeared to be destined for a defensive back. LSU will take Kelvin Joseph and Patrick Surtain Jr. regardless of who else wants in, so Mario Goodrich could end up being the odd man out in that scenario.

Ja'Marr Chase, WR, 6-1, 195, Rummel

LSU finally has a lead for Ja'Marr Chase, but will they be able to capitalize on it with a commitment this weekend? I would say that it is a real possibility, maybe even a probability, once you take Chase's previous actions into account. He has proven to be impressionable and is not really a fan of the recruiting process. If LSU knocks it out of the park this weekend, that could be the end of things for Chase.

If he elects to wait until National Signing Day, which has been an idea the Chase family has considered after rescinding his pledge to Florida in November, he is likely to take his scheduled visit to Auburn on Jan. 19.

patrick-surtain-jrjpg-45a143277aab25e3.j
James Smith, photo by Julie Boudwin, NOLA.com | The Ti
Patrick Surtain Jr., CB, 6-2, 185, Florida

LSU has been locked in on five-star cornerback Patrick Surtain Jr. for over two years now and has led for most of the way. Most importantly, they lead right now, with only four weeks to go. It is unlikely that Surtain will end his recruitment this week, with a trip to Alabama on the horizon, but it is likely that he will say enough for the staff to be confident they will land the prized recruit. LSU appears to be in a strong spot for now.

Very important weekend, that will make the difference between a good recruiting class, and a very good one.  Keep your eyes peeled for info.  But, Surtain has said he is not announcing his selection until nat. signing day....  Long wait.

Surtain is being pushed by a few schools. He could come in with playing time right away. Corey Raymond has done a great job with coaching and recruiting. Lots of great talent waiting till the end. We should finish in the top 8, the kicker hurts the overall ratings. But lots of needs were filled. 

I saw this on Dandy Don, not an immediate impact, but interesting:

Jimbo Fisher has added former LSU assistant Bradley Dale Peveto to his staff, and that’s a great move on Fisher’s part. Peveto’s coaching acumen may be debatable among Tiger fans, but there’s no question that he is a top-notch recruiter, especially in his area of specialty, which is east Texas. With Fisher and Peveto now in east Texas, recruiting that key are has just become a lot more challenging for LSU.

:OLDSKULE:  Looking like a possible Surtain, Chase, Goodrich finish for LSU.  Two 5*'s and a 4*.  If that's how it ends up, I could live with that.  :LSUTIGER:

30 minutes ago, Geauxtigs said:

:OLDSKULE:  Looking like a possible Surtain, Chase, Goodrich finish for LSU.  Two 5*'s and a 4*.  If that's how it ends up, I could live with that.  :LSUTIGER:

Understatement of the year!!!  With Kelvin Joseph at safety, that would be an epic close of the recruiting class!!!  Boom, Boom, Boom, Boom!!!!

22 minutes ago, houtiger said:

With Kelvin Joseph at safety, that would be an epic close of the recruiting class!!!  Boom, Boom, Boom, Boom!!!!

:OLDSKULE:  Absolutely!!  

10 hours ago, houtiger said:

I saw this on Dandy Don, not an immediate impact, but interesting: Jimbo Fisher has added former LSU assistant Bradley Dale Peveto to his staff, and that’s a great move on Fisher’s part. Peveto’s coaching acumen may be debatable among Tiger fans, but there’s no question that he is a top-notch recruiter, especially in his area of specialty, which is east Texas. With Fisher and Peveto now in east Texas, recruiting that key are has just become a lot more challenging for LSU.

How can this be, most couldn't wait to get rid of BDP. Why would Jimbo hire him? What does Jimbo know?

At LSU Peveto rose to his level of incompetence; in the right position I think it's a good hire for the recruiting aspect.

Speaking of former assistants, where is Chief these days? Still in Aggieland?

Edited by PaducahMichael

2 hours ago, PaducahMichael said:

At LSU Peveto rose to his level of incompetence; in the right position I think it's a good hire for the recruiting aspect.

He and Ron Cooper are together again.

BDP knows more folks in Tx than just about anyone. Last year, 333 Tx kids signed with FBS programs. He can get into more schools easier than just about any coach. This hire is really a good for Jimbo.

On 1/14/2018 at 10:14 PM, PaducahMichael said:

He was working as a special DB coach for the Saints Sunday...

11 hours ago, DJ said:

He was working as a special DB coach for the Saints Sunday...

Too Soon Jackwagon.

I'm kidding, but I'm not.  Everytime I think I'm past it, I see that frickin play or hear the Minnesota fans speak about their win and it just pisses me off.  

Early enrollees:

Badara Traore, the top-ranked junior college offensive lineman in this class who signed last month, has not yet arrived, but he’s expected to be here in the coming days, the school confirmed Thursday.

The arrival of the eight signees was expected as the university announced the group last month when they signed during the early signing period. The list includes two junior college players, guard Damien Lewis and defensive lineman Travez Moore, along with the Evangel duo of linebacker Micah Baskerville and D-tackle Davin Cotton, and Florida tight end Zach Sheffer, running back Tae Provens, receiver Terrace Marshall and Mississippi center Cole Smith. Cole Tracy, the Division II kicker transferring to LSU, is not arriving early, as the school initially announced.

Advocate reports Traore is on campus, all is ok with him.

Three days to National Signing Day.  I'm just sayin'..........

Kelvin Joseph safety looks locked to LSU.  JaMarr Chase WR looks like coming to LSU, but he's visiting Auburn this weekend.  Patrick Surtain CB leaned to LSU all year, but Bama is putting the hard push on him.

:OLDSKULE: Joseph locked in and looking extremely good on Chase.  Still appears LSU holding the edge on Surtain.  Who knows on Foster or Goodrich.  Just wish it was Wednesday already.  :willy_nilly: