Sign in to follow this  
Deceks7

Houston Recommendations

A very dear friend of mine from Auburn is currently in Houston.  Her Husband is undergoing treatment at MD Anderson.  My in-laws in Houston have given some recommendations of good places to try while in the area.  They are really looking for things they would be unlikely to find back in Norfolk.  Any ideas of great or unique places that you might suggest would be greatly appreciated.  They are staying near MD Anderson.

Any suggestions along 40 on their way back to Va., including in Baton Rouge, are also welcomed.

Thanks 

1 hour ago, Deceks7 said:

A very dear friend of mine from Auburn is currently in Houston.  Her Husband is undergoing treatment at MD Anderson.  My in-laws in Houston have given some recommendations of good places to try while in the area.  They are really looking for things they would be unlikely to find back in Norfolk.  Any ideas of great or unique places that you might suggest would be greatly appreciated.  They are staying near MD Anderson.

Any suggestions along 40 on their way back to Va., including in Baton Rouge, are also welcomed.

Thanks 

Too many in BTR, Mansurs on the Boulevard, Geno's, Little Village (Get the Bread), Mike Andersons is more than constant, La. Lagniappe, TJ Ribs. Best Muffalatta (Try Pocarello's).

In Houston, most of the Papa's Restaurants are constant. There are a number of Papas close to MD. 

2 hours ago, LSUDad said:

In Houston, most of the Papa's Restaurants are constant. There are a number of Papas close to MD. 

Deceks,

The Pappa's restaurants would include Pappasitos, Pappadeaux, Pappas BarBQ, Pappas Steak House. http://www.pappas.com/home/

Interesting the Pappas family is Greek, and they don't have a greek restaurant.  My one complaint about Pappasitos and Pappadeaux is that they are noisy.

For Mexican and some old time Houston flavor, I prefer Ninfa's on Navigation which is downtown, and I think that is the original location, reasonable prices.  http://ninfas.com/

For cajun, the Ragin Cajun is good and reasonable.  There is one on Richmond inside the I-610 loop.

For fine dining "The Reef" downtown is outstanding, as is Lexington Grille on Lexington St. just off US 59 (I-69).  Its the same street.

There are very good Thai, Vietnamese and Chinese restaurants in Houston, and some are downtown, but I don't get down there very much.  Let me know if they want me to get recommendations from locals.

This may not pop up that much, but Coco's Crepes are very good and reasonable if you don't want to eat a big meal.  They have veggie, meat and desert crepes that are very tasty.  http://www.cococrepes.com/midtown/

59 Diner has good burgers, fries and shakes.  It's sorta 1959 style.

There is a large selection of Italian places, and Carrabas is usually good.  It's a good chain at middle prices.

Otto's is an institution in town for BBQ, used to see Bush 41 in there.  http://ottosbbq.com/

Let me know how long they are in for, and in particular what they are looking for, and I'll talk to folks and see what I can come up with.  This shotgun is a wide variety of food types, and price ranges.

A bit on navigating downtown.  When locals say "west loop north", translation, the loop is sort of a square with 4 sides, the north, south east and west sides.  North loop is the loop on the north side of the square.  The north loop traffic flows east and west, so north loop east is on the loop on the north section of the loop and traveling in the eastbound direction.  The West Loop section has traffic going north and south, so there is a "west loop south" and a west loop north.  Hope that helps.

Edited by houtiger

Steve’s BBQ in Baytown. 

it’s actually kind of a shithole, but for like $9 they have all you can eat ribs in a thursday night. 

Edited by Nutriaitch

There are also several restaurants in the Rice Village area.  Churrascos is a Brazilian steakhouse that is good.  There are all kinds of places near the Galleria as well. 

Thanks everyone!.  They have made a point to hit all of the papa's, did rice village, yesterday they hit southwell's.  I have passed your recommendations to them.

I looked up a place I liked sort of downtown, well, its inside the loop a bit off I-10.  It's Italian, Vincent's.  There is a higher priced version right next door called Nino's, both are very good.  Vincent's is medium price, and they will rotisserie grill a chicken (or a half) for you while you wait, it doesn't take any longer than any other dish, but they are very good.  It's not a chain, its family owned, which I usually like.  Plenty of parking behind the restaurant.

ninos-vincents.com

2701 W Dallas St, Houston, TX

Another idea, Goode Company Seafood.  Medium prices, good seafood, but the Campechana appetizer is to die for, avocado, pico de gallo, shrimp and crabmeat.   One is pretty big, so can be split.  Some folks like the appetizer so much, they eat one then just order a bowl of seafood gumbo as the main course.  It makes a pretty fine dinner, does not cost much compared to other options.    Goode Co. BBQ is good also.

Hatcher, discuss these with your son!

Edited by houtiger