Sign in to follow this  
houtiger

Spring Practice - 2018

Today was the first day of spring practice.  O's comments are on the link.

Who are the leaders on this team?

We have leadership council. We have meetings. You guys will enjoy this. Last year I kind of let them where what they wanted at practice. This year, we have a certain standard (uniform) for practice. I’m going to let them where tights. There are 12 on (the leadership council). Six wanted to wear purple and six wanted to wear white. I made an executed decision to let them war either or. Goes to show you we have leadership and guys making decisions.

I think in their mind, they want to carry on the LSU tradition, what was passed off to them and pass it off to the younger guys. I think you’re going to see a better job of that this year.

Who are those leaders?

Devin White, Rashard Lawrence, Breiden Fehoko, Justin McMillan, Foster Moreau, Nick Brossette, (Garrett Brumfield), Greedy Williams, John Battle, Jonathan Giles.

http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/sports/lsu/article_4d912ee8-2569-11e8-95ae-5bbb05931b2d.html

Interesting that two of the leaders are Jonathan Giles (WR) and Breiden Fehoko (DL), both transferred from Tx. Tech and sat our last year.  They must have earned a lot of respect in practice, have not played a down for LSU.

Devin White, Rashard Lawrence, Garrett Brumfield, very easy to understand those men, they were leaders last year.  Greedy Williams is just a soph., but he has respect.

They practice Tue., Thur. and Sat. this week.

Edited by houtiger

Kristian Fulton, the former Rummel standout, participated in the first practice of the spring. The 6-foot-1, 195-pound cornerback ran through drills in his purple No. 22 jersey as reporters snapped photos and streamed video of a kid who signed with LSU two years ago as the state’s top-ranked prospect.

His participation was not unexpected. In fact, he practiced last season despite not playing a down for reasons that had never been made public. Still, his appearance caused a wave of excitement from a fan base over a player whose status has been shrouded in mystery for several months.

The mystery is no more.

Fulton is halfway through serving a two-year suspension imposed last winter by the NCAA, said Don Jackson, an Alabama-based attorney representing the Fulton family who spoke to The Advocate on Sunday.

Fulton’s suspension kept him from playing the 2017 season. If not overturned, the suspension will prevent him from playing in, at least, the regular season of 2018, too. His eligibility would be reinstated for 2019. The 730-day suspension, Jackson said, is tied to a drug examination the NCAA conducted on Fulton late in fall 2016, Fulton’s true freshman season.

Fulton is alleged to have attempted to use a fraudulent testing sample, somewhat of a double whammy, according to the NCAA. The governing body of college athletics suspended him one calendar year for submitting a fraudulent sample and docked him another calendar year for allegedly failing the test, Jackson said. The NCAA considers a no-show, or in this case a fraudulent sample, a failed test, Jackson said.

http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/sports/lsu/article_670ef47e-2611-11e8-8992-33e322d8633e.html

Edited by houtiger

After day 3 of practice, the first in pads, limited contact drills.  If you go to the link, there are some brief coaching videos.  Lowell Narcisse looked very CONSISTENT throwing the ball, and his arm looks strong to me, except he throws with the wrong hand!

As we have often explained, creating a depth chart from spring drills is very difficult. Reporters only get a small window to watch and that window comes during individual drills. All we can go off of is the pecking order of players during drills. Here's some of that:

Defensive line

• F-OLB: Ray Thornton (Michael Divinity)
  • DE: Rashard Lawrence (Neil Farrell)
  • DE Breiden Fehoko (Glen Logan)
  • B-OLB: K'Lavon Chaisson (Andre Anthony, Travez Moore)

It should be noted here that Anthony, out last season with injury, was dressed out in full pads

Quarterback

• Myles Brennan
  • Lowell Narcisse
  • Justin McMillan
  • Andre Sale

A note here: Narcisse jumped McMillan to take the second reps behind Brennan. This could be absolutely nothing, but McMillan took the No. 2 reps Sunday and Tuesday. 

Running back

• Nick Brossette
  • Clyde Edwards-Helaire
  • Lanard Fournette
  • David Ducre
  • Tae Provens

Receiver

• Jonathan Giles
  • Dee Anderson
  • Justin Jefferson
  • Stephen Sullivan
  • Drake Davis
  • Terrace Marshall
  • Derrick Dillon
  • Racey McMath

http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/sports/lsu/article_88290d96-288e-11e8-9c4b-e31d39d49b9f.html

•  

Edited by houtiger

On 3/13/2018 at 11:57 PM, houtiger said:

Fulton

This is what gets me. Coach has used the term "hope and pray" with regards to this team.  I understand Fulton MIGHT win the appeal, but looks like coach was hoping and praying when he told Goodrich...a great CB prospect who is now at Clemson... to stand by. Sure, he thought he had Surtain wrapped up, but damn, we didn't even have a full class, and he KNEW about the Fulton situation. 

We have 3 guys on the team that were offered scholarships to play CB.

Hope and pray...

3 hours ago, Fishhead said:

This is what gets me. Coach has used the term "hope and pray" with regards to this team.  I understand Fulton MIGHT win the appeal, but looks like coach was hoping and praying when he told Goodrich...a great CB prospect who is now at Clemson... to stand by. Sure, he thought he had Surtain wrapped up, but damn, we didn't even have a full class, and he KNEW about the Fulton situation. 

We have 3 guys on the team that were offered scholarships to play CB.

Hope and pray...

I don't hold out much hope that Fulton wins an appeal against the NCAA.  The rule looks clear.  I don't agree with the rule, I think it is too severe, loss of one year is plenty of penalty, but the rule is clear.  If the NCAA wants people to take drug testing seriously, they will make Fulton an example.  DON'T do that, give a fake sample.

Agree, I was trying to give coach some semblance of an excuse for not landing Goodrich... who wanted in. 

2 hours ago, Fishhead said:

Agree, I was trying to give coach some semblance of an excuse for not landing Goodrich... who wanted in. 

The failure on cornerback recruiting this year needs to be a big lesson to O.  Surtain had been committed to us for 2 years, did not commit in the early signing period, why?  Bama was talking to him, you gotta know how attractive that is to some kids.  We end up with 2 scholly to give, why not take Goodrich.  One in the hand is worth two in the bush.  I'm not sure what you tell these top kids that want to hold out till the signing day.  To me, it looks like they are not really committed.

With Donte leaving pretty much for sure, I thought Tolliver should have come back for his Sr. year, but we'll see where he goes.  I read Tolliver did not like school, and I'm sure there are many who feel the same way.  The coaches should know better than us fans which way those guys lean as Jr.s.  

It seems clear to me we should have taken Goodrich, in the early signing period if we could get him there. 

Now we're looking for a graduate transfer, but will he be as good as a Goodrich, and then he'll just be here for one year.

Let's hope the lesson gets learned.

Kevin Joseph will be playing the CB position. Neatherly is one that has moved from WR To DB.  Some talk the Jenkins kid out of Jena, will be playing the CB position. The DL will help the DB's this year, getting to the QB. Once a thin position on the team, this moves to a major strength. Early draft reports from next year have our LB White and DB Gready Williams as guys to watch this year. Gready sat his first year, then came on strong. Led the SEC with 6 Ints this year. Devin White, some are saying, he may end up being the best LB to come out of LSU. Let's see how these two do this year. 

I know, LSU is looking into DB transfers, that can play right away. I want to see a little more of this position during the Spring Game. 

15 hours ago, LSUDad said:

Kevin Joseph will be playing the CB position. Neatherly is one that has moved from WR To DB.  Some talk the Jenkins kid out of Jena, will be playing the CB position. The DL will help the DB's this year, getting to the QB. Once a thin position on the team, this moves to a major strength. Early draft reports from next year have our LB White and DB Gready Williams as guys to watch this year. Gready sat his first year, then came on strong. Led the SEC with 6 Ints this year. Devin White, some are saying, he may end up being the best LB to come out of LSU. Let's see how these two do this year. 

I know, LSU is looking into DB transfers, that can play right away. I want to see a little more of this position during the Spring Game. 

All that is known. But this is dbu. I'm not saying we don't have anyone to play CB. I'm saying, as a matter of fact, we have 3 guys that were given ships because they were cbs. The others were recruited to play safety or wide receiver. Any transfer is someone who either wasn't good enough for an lsu scholly prior, or is transferring because he's not happy with something wherever he's coming from. 

I'm excited about the DL, and quite frankly, the front 7. But no matter what shade of lipstick  you put on the pig, our db situation is still a pig...due to recruiting failure. 

1 hour ago, Fishhead said:

Any transfer is someone who either wasn't good enough for an lsu scholly prior, or is transferring because he's not happy with something wherever he's coming from. 

You mean like the transfers of the DL and WR? You know the two that transferred. The DL that most can't block and the transferred WR, and what number is he wearing again? For a WR, they just give out that number to anyone. Probably wasn't good or was unhappy were he was? 

This time last year, everyone knew Greedy was going to be a star. Ok, so Greedy took a Red Shirt, may only play this year, and will be able to come out for the NFL after this year. Greedy, that three star Rivals guy that sat his first year. Came on as a Red-Shirt Freshman. Might be a first rounder if he has a year like last year. NFL Scouts will keep an eye on him this year. 

I understand what you are saying, but like I said, I'll hold judgement on the position after the Spring Game. Donte Jackson played WR, both left and right CB positions along with the nickel and safety positions. Heck, Jack Hunt caught the pass for the Bluegrass Mi, wait, never mind. Ok, having fun with that one. Netherly played QB in high school, so did a number of other Tigers before getting to LSU. One year the baseball team had what something like 5 or 6 players that were high school QB'. 

Yes, O and Raymond should have filled the position better. Remember the 5 for 5, Tony Brown was the big DB we missed out on, how could that be, his sister ran track at LSU. He just finished his Sr year,only start he had this year, SR day game against Mercer college. 

At times last year we had depth problems at LB and along the DL. Gonna be interesting looking at a shortage of CB's. Or maybe, we'll play the games with just enough players at the positions. 

Edited by LSUDad

Went back and looked, Greedy had 4 DB's ranked higher than him in his class. He was the lowest rated DB in the class. The highest rated RB in that class, Devin White. So, the lowest rated CB and the highest rated RB from that class may be the first two Tigers taken in next years draft? One after switching positions, to the other side of the ball? Maybe the staff knows a little more than the paid scouts? 

Come on man. Devin was taken as an lb all the way. Everyone knew that. 

A better example would've been Gage. 

But you're right. Taking only 23 with zero CBs was probably a brilliant strategy by O. When he told Goodrich no, he was really playing chess and everybody else was playing checkers...like Saban and Dabo.

It's ok to admit they screwed up, Dad. It would be one thing if they took a full class, but they didn't. And now they're depending on transfers. 

Regarding transfers Fehoko and Giles, not a single one of us knows how they'll do at LSU. They haven't played a snap. I sure hope the hype is legit though. 

What number is Giles going to wear again? Gauge moved around, but never really saw the field till Les moved on. Just a guess, we gonna play football, even if we only have two CB's. 

Please go back and read where I said, O and Raymond should have filled the position better. Can I be more plain? 

Gage was a 3 star CB and wound up at WR.

On 3/18/2018 at 10:16 PM, LSUDad said:

You mean like the transfers of the DL and WR? You know the two that transferred. The DL that most can't block and the transferred WR, and what number is he wearing again? For a WR, they just give out that number to anyone. Probably wasn't good or was unhappy were he was? 

And fwiw, it's well known Giles was unhappy where he was. He didn't like what he was asked to do there. 

I think he'll be a good player for us,  btw. Matters not what number he wears. WAY more contingent on the QB play we get. 

6 hours ago, Fishhead said:

. Matters not what number he wears. WAY more contingent on the QB play we get. 

Just a guess, they will start giving the numbers 7 and 18, to walkons next year. Ok, J/K. 

I do agree on the QB play. 

From the Thur. scrimmage.  Tigers are off for spring break and return 4/1.  Practicing a West Coast style offense.

In LSU's first scrimmage of the spring last Saturday, the defense took it to the offense.

According to LSU coach Ed Orgeron, Thursday's (March 22) scrimmage was payback for the offense. 

Orgeron said there was a "marked improvement" in the offense as the team practiced for the sixth time this spring and the last before the team takes a a short sabbatical for spring break. 

"I thought the quarterbacks made tremendous improvement today," Orgeron said. "It was due to the protection on the offensive line. I thought the offensive line did a much better job of protecting. Made tremendous improvement." 

Orgeron stressed the offensive line play. He said in the first scrimmage the quarterbacks didn't have time to hit the open receivers. 

"Today, we had time to throw the football," Orgeron said. "The wide receivers were open. We had some empty sets and made some plays down the field by athletes."

LSU was missing playmakers as wide receiver Jonathan Giles, defensive end Breiden Fehoko and running back Lanard Fournette did not scrimmage because of injuries,  Orgeron said he expects to get several players back from injury after the break including defensive tackle Ed Alexander. 

Two wide receivers that stood out were sophomore Racey McMath, who finished with six receptions for 169 yards and a touchdown, and junior Drake Davis, who had four catches for 102 yards. 

Orgeron has talked more about going to multiple-wide receiver sets and said he expects playmakers to step up. 

"I think that those guys are going to continue to make improvements and be viable players for us," Orgeron said. "We'll be going three and four-wide receiver sets. We'll be alternating our guys and they have to make some plays for us." 

Orgeron said it was a situational scrimmage Thursday that focused on short yardage, blitzing, third downs (broken down by yardage), first downs where the team had 30 plays with each group before heading to the red zone and finishing up with goal line.  Here's a look at the stats from the scrimmage according to Orgeron: 

Passing

Myles Brennan - 12-of-16, 224 yards, two touchdowns, long of 80

Justin McMillan - 7-15, 169 yards, one touchdown, long of 75

Lowell Narcisse - 6-14, 38 yards, long of 15

Receiving  

Racey McMath - six receptions, 169 yards, one touchdown

Drake Davis - four receptions, 102 yards

Justin Jefferson - four receptions, 54 yards

Stephen Sullivan - two receptions, 51 yards

David Ducre - two receptions, 2 yards

Foster Moreau, Derrick Dillon, Dee Anderson, Terrace Marshall, Nick Brossette, Trey Gallman, JaCory Washington - one reception each

Rushing 

Nick Brossette - 23 attempts, 58 yards, five touchdowns (mostly goal line)

Clyde Edwards-Helaire - 16 attempts, 86 yards, one touchdownTae Provens - seven attempts, 29 yards

Justin McMillan - four attempts, 48 yards

Lowell Narcisse - two attempts, 17 yards

Myles Brennan - one attempt, 2 yards

Defensive 

Neil Farrell - 10 tackles, five tackles for a loss, two sacks

John Battle - seven tackles

K'Lavon Chaisson - six tackles, one sack ("Very close to having three or four sacks," Orgeron said)

Jacob Phillips - five tackles

Eric Monroe - five tackles

Rashard Lawrence - five tackles

Tyler Taylor - four tackles 

http://www.nola.com/lsu/index.ssf/2018/03/ed_orgeron_scrimmage_lsu_footb.html

10 hours ago, Fishhead said:

Watch this dot by Brennan, Racey Mcmath takes it to the house

Nice!  I like the way Brennan stepped into the throw, not "off the back foot" like some guys in the past.  He had some sauce on that throw.  He had to put it between 2 defenders as #5 Kary Vincent came over to help defend.  Takes some guts on Brennan's part to try that, which is why he drilled it in.  Racey must have good hands because that ball was coming in hot.  Kary Vincent did a good job making up ground on Racey after he missed on the INT., he's a state sprint champ from TX, should be a good one.  There's a lot to like about that play, except the D got beat.

Anybody, the throw by Brennan, does anyone else think we haven't seen a throw like that since Mettenberger graduated?  That's what I think.  I like it!

No, we haven't had an arm that live

ETA: That was accurate. Harris had a cannon, but no confidence or accuracy

Edited by Fishhead

There's a long video interview with O following Tuesday's practice, first one since returning to campus Sunday night.  Tyler Shelvin is down to 358 (down from 390), O would like to see him at 330.  Said when fresh he makes some great plays, but he gets tired too easily.

http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/sports/lsu/article_5522a224-3796-11e8-a946-abd18c16d96f.html

On 3/24/2018 at 6:20 PM, Fishhead said:

No, we haven't had an arm that live

ETA: That was accurate. Harris had a cannon, but no confidence or accuracy

One scout has Etling rated ahead of Harris.

In a spring practice, Netherly is playing the position well. He comes in on the corner blitz, also did well on an Int. Todd Harris is looking like a cover man in the slot, also playing in the nickel, Eric Monroe. Safety position looks like Delpit, Stevens, Battle and Cam Lewis. Ed Paris also in the mix.

Ol, Magee has worked at ORT, if he can get consistency from his play, he will play a bunch. Damien Lewis, a  guy that has a great shot at playing and starting time, looks to have a shot. Brumfield and Ingram both looks to be starters along the line. But with Charles out, a number of guy are getting reps.

LSU has 4 recruits in for visits this weekend.