Sign in to follow this  
houtiger

Spring Practice - 2018

From the Sat. scrimmage:

The Tigers are still in the developmental stage of installing coach Steve Ensminger’s new scheme, and the absence of a starting quarterback has coaches using two styles of play. The scheme is, at least partially, dictated on the play-caller, coach Ed Orgeron said, and LSU’s three-man quarterback competition is headed for an August conclusion.

Coaches have installed just “35 percent” of the system, Orgeron said after Saturday’s scrimmage, the 12th of 14 practices in spring, all culminating in next week’s spring game at Tiger Stadium. The game begins at 5 p.m. and is televised on the SEC Network.

“We don’t have the whole offense in. This thing is going to go throughout the summer, throughout camp,” the coach said. “We want to look good next Saturday. I want the quarterbacks to look good. We want to throw the ball. Want all that to happen. I believe some of that is going to happen, but we’re not there yet. I ask the fans to be patient. We’re not where we need to be, but we’re going to get there.”

LSU’s scrimmage Saturday produced one of the strongest outings from redshirt freshman quarterback Lowell Narcisse, Orgeron said. He went 7 for 10 for 143 yards. Sophomore Myles Brennan completed half of his 20 passes for 98 yards, and redshirt junior Justin McMillan was 5 for 16 for 62 yards.

Reporters must rely on Orgeron for scrimmage statistics. Scrimmages, much like the team portions of practice, are closed to media.

“Lowell stood out today, made a lot of good throws, good plays,” Orgeron said. “Had some scrambles and big passes. He’s improved every day.”

Narcisse is running more of a zone-read scheme as opposed to more of the pro-style, pocket-passing system with Brennan on the field, Orgeron suggested.

It appears the result of the starting quarterback competition will also determine the direction of LSU’s offense. Does it feel like that to Orgeron?

“Almost. A little bit,” he answered. “We have certain things we’re going to do with most quarterbacks. Certain plays, all three quarterbacks are running, but we have certain things that skill sets of quarterbacks demand we do it.

“We’re running the same plays,” he said. “Once we find out who our quarterback is going to be, we’re going to do what they can do. Lowell will do more quarterback runs. Myles will do more drop-back passes.”

http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/sports/lsu/article_d90d9abc-4010-11e8-9731-8f86a9aeb7c5.html

I was in La. for a high school reunion this weekend.  Talk was that Narcise has healed completely from his ACL injuries, he's losing some weight at 240 now, and he's coming on in the spring.  I would not be surprised to see 2 QB's play a lot early in the year, and maybe deep into the season.

1 hour ago, houtiger said:

From the Sat. scrimmage:

I was in La. for a high school reunion this weekend.  Talk was that Narcise has healed completely from his ACL injuries, he's losing some weight at 240 now, and he's coming on in the spring.  I would not be surprised to see 2 QB's play a lot early in the year, and maybe deep into the season.

Man, if Narcisse is getting Down to 240, then that means he got quite heavy.  I think he was listed at 220 lbs coming to LSU.  He was an EE so at first he was just rehabbing, but then he was practicing throughout, so that doesn't sound good for a 18 / 19 year old athlete. 

Have you seen him?  He's built like a Mack truck.  Not like he's Jamarcus post grad lol.  He's worked out with Jarvis Landry and others.  He's in tremendous shape.

If they play both QB's in a game, and Brennan is drop back, and Narcisse is zone read, how hard is it for the o-line to adjust from one series or one quarter to the next?

Could Ensminger look at a defense and say, this one the zone read will work better against, and that one the drop back will work better, and go with one guy mostly against one opponent, and go with the other guy more against a different team?

When Bert Jones had to split time with Paul Lyons, Tiger fans didn't like it as Jones was clearly the better player.  But taking one of our current guys out and putting in another equally talented QB, with different talents, that could make sense.  If both QB's are effective, it seems like it gives LSU some good options we haven't had in a long time.  We couldn't find one effective QB many times (except Mett and Etling), much less two.

Edited by houtiger

My recorder is set to record the spring game. 

By the way, on SEC network, in the series on Legends of the SEC, they have done an hour on Pete Maravich, very complete and well balanced, one of the best one hour features on his life, they include recent interviews with his widow (lives in Covington) and his two sons.  Watch it or set it to record, it is well worth the hour.  It's a shame the video quality of his play from the 1960's is so grainy.  I didn't know that when he was with the Atlanta Hawks, right out of college, his huge salary compared to the rest of the team's established players caused such dissension that they had a bad locker room, and that is why Pete was traded away to the NO Jazz.  I used to go to the superdome and watch the Jazz play, to see Pete.  I liked to go see the NY Knicks, because they had Walt Frazier who was the best defensive guard in the league at the time, and Pete seemed to take special delight in lighting up Frazier, basically saying "I am not guardable!", and he was not.

There is a 16 min. video of all of his points in the article below, some of it is pretty incredible, Pete was at the top of his game at the time.  He had worked on his defense by then, and was also a good defensive player.  Sorry about the diversion, but the SEC Network piece on Pete brought this back up.

Forty years ago today, Feb. 25, 1977, Pete Maravich played one of the most spectacular games in New Orleans basketball history. “The Pistol” scored 68 points in a 124-107 win against the New York Knicks at the Superdome.

Maravich victimized five different Knicks guards: Walt Frazier; Butch Beard; Earl Monroe; Dean Meminger; and Tickey Burden. Frazier was known as one of the best defenders in the NBA but Maravich averaged 35 points a game in his three previous matchups with Frazier. “We tried everything humanly possible to stop him,” Knicks coach Red Holtzman told The Times-Picayune that night. “We double-teamed him, we tried to have guys help out. We tried trapping him. He was just so darned hot, we couldn’t handle him.”

Maravich made 26 of 43 field goals and 16 of 18 free throws en route to his record-setting night. And this was before the 3-point shot had been instituted. At the time, it was the seventh highest scoring output in NBA history. It set the benchmark for the most points ever scored by a guard, eclipsing Jerry West’s mark of 63 in 1962. The mark still ranks fourth among guards all-time and 12th overall in NBA history. 

"It was really nice to achieve a personal goal like that and win," Maravich told the Times-Picayune after the game. "A lot of times I did this in college, and we didn't win."

A look back at that memorable night:

http://www.nola.com/pelicans/index.ssf/2017/02/remembering_the_night_pistol_s.html

Edited by houtiger

Who's going to the spring game?  You owe us a report tomorrow!  It's televised, so all observations are welcome!

Edited by houtiger

Front 7
Secondary
Justin Jefferson
McMillan

Jamal Pettigrew/Clyde Edwards-Helaire

Brennan
Narcisse

OL

Grant Delpit's injury

In that order

Edited by Fishhead

FH, I'm guessing that is most impressive to least?  If it is, I'd agree generally.  I liked our running backs better than I thought.  I thought our wide receivers got away with some offensive interference that would not be allowed in the regular season.  Delpit looked like he was holding his wrist, hope its not a break.

They warned the fans not to expect too much out of the offense.  And they delivered.  We've got a long way to go on offense.  McMillan's experience showed.  Brennan looked like a redshirt frosh, not polished.  Narcisse threw some very nice long balls, tossed it 30 to 40 yards with ease, very strong arm, nice spiral.  But he hasn't played football in 2 or 3 years so he's got a way to go.

Edited by houtiger

10 minutes ago, houtiger said:

FH, I'm guessing that is most impressive to least?  If it is, I'd agree generally.  I liked our running backs better than I thought.  I thought our wide receivers got away with some offensive interference that would not be allowed in the regular season.  Delpit looked like he was holding his wrist, hope its not a break.

I'm thinking he broke his collarbone and was holding his left arm up with his right because he couldn't raise his left

I edited my post to add Jamal Pettigrew, who is a friggin beast. Monroe had a good game at safety, but Jamal is his daddy 

I put the OL last with good reason, but hoping it's because the front 7 is that good. The juco guy, traore, was totally abused by K'lavon Chaisson today. I literally felt sorry for him. 

One thing I noticed during the game, a close up on the sideline of Narcisse, his biceps look like Devin White's (ok, not exactly).  I guess that is why he can flick it 40 yards and it looks so easy.  I don't care if he can throw it 80 yards like JaMarcus, I would rather that he can throw it 30 or 40 yards with accuracy.  But, you have to know the plays and be able to read the defensive coverage, more to being a QB than having a great arm.

They said McMillan is 6' 3" and 200, he's bigger than I thought, guess he grew since getting to LSU.  He's got a nice set of wheels, liked his mobility.  I was a little surprised on some of his throws, they looked very soft.  The ball was moving so slow, I thought the defenders would have a chance to get there, but they didn't.  I guess he saw they couldn't get there in time and took some stuff off the throw.  Anyone else notice some soft throws?

Edited by houtiger

He has the worst arm of the 3.

Every qb was sub 50% completions in a practice game where they couldn't be hit. Narcisse got the benefit of Jefferson bailing him out with a one handed snag and great 94 yd run after catch, but in a real game, that was at best a sack/safety. At worst, a sack/ fumble/TD. 

Narcisse can run pretty well, as can McMillan 

Brennan looked bad but had no chance against the 1st team defense. Dillon dropped a TD from Brennan early to make it even worse

Edited by Fishhead

Starting safety Grant Delpit broke his left collarbone during a fall to the turf in Saturday's spring game, a source confirmed. Delpit posted a message on his Twitter account Sunday that he'll have surgery Monday

In attempting to break up a pass Saturday, Delpit leaped into the air and fell hard on the Tiger Stadium turf. Trainers tended to him for a while. He walked off the field on his own, holding his left shoulder gingerly. 

A broken collarbone is not uncommon of an injury. Normally, a collarbone is displaced, or out or normal alignment, to require surgery. Rehabilitation for such an injury spans 6-8 weeks, with athletes usually returning to normal activity within three months of the injury.

http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/sports/lsu/article_72b5980e-4656-11e8-a0dd-f3cdf0f6fc6f.html

At one point in the game, O got very mad on the field, he was walking around yelling at people, finally got over to the sideline in Tommy Robinson's face chewing on him.  Anybody know what that was about.  Robinson coaches the RB, with the pressure on the QB's, was it about RB not picking up blocks?  I'll have to watch it over, have it recorded.

The WR's looked better, DB's, good and bad. Loaded at the Safety position. OC, we need to move someone in, Brumfield or another. DL, deepest position, next to WR. 

Havent had time to look at film. RB, 22 got moves, strong, a little Guice in him. More quicks. Sees the hole well. 

The D is going to be really, really good, for the next two years. 

The OL had two out that might be your OT this year. 

Chaisson, is all SEC this year, 1st team. 

Edited by LSUDad

Dad, agree on the WRs.  These guys fight for balls more than we've seen lately.  Extremely impressed with Justin Jefferson.  

Surprised not to see too much from Giles.  Couple of catches, but wasn't really a big part of the offense.  I suspect going against our #1 CB creates problems.

I noticed he was fielding punts.  With punts not being returned, we couldn't see what he brings in the return game. Maybe that's something to look forward to? 

Speaking of punts...can we not get a punter to kick more than 30 yards without even the possibility of it being blocked because there's no rush??

They used 3 different guys back their on punts. We'll see. 

One of the 3 QBs HAS to step apart from the pack. The coaches are literally begging one of them to do it.  We don't have a RB on the team that is really a "run it down their throat back" even if that was still our offensive philosophy. If we are going anywhere this year it will be on the arm of our starting QB and the hands of our receivers.

2 hours ago, Hatchertiger said:

One of the 3 QBs HAS to step apart from the pack. The coaches are literally begging one of them to do it.  We don't have a RB on the team that is really a "run it down their throat back" even if that was still our offensive philosophy. If we are going anywhere this year it will be on the arm of our starting QB and the hands of our receivers.

I agree.  O said he wanted to run a west coast offense, we wanted to throw the ball more.  I think I saw us throw a lot more, not the old Les Miles / Cam Cameron offense.  Ya'll happy with that?

2 hours ago, Hatchertiger said:

I wouldn't sell CEH short, and Provens is legit.  Curry's coming.  We don't know what we have at RB right now.  Of course, we know we don't have Fournette backed up by Guice. 

Receivers, I'm pretty excited about them.  QB, nervous as a long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs.

6 minutes ago, houtiger said:

I agree.  O said he wanted to run a west coast offense, we wanted to throw the ball more.  I think I saw us throw a lot more, not the old Les Miles / Cam Cameron offense.  Ya'll happy with that?

I'm happy with it, considering it appears they're using ALL receivers, including TEs, and we've got em stock piled.  I can't wait to see Pettigrew run over some Gump CB.  

If they're able to find a QB to run the system, it seems the rest of the offensive personnel are in place.  I'd love to see Provens as a receiver out of the back field.  

1 hour ago, Fishhead said:

I'd love to see Provens as a receiver out of the back field.  

Yes, he has a lot to prove. :)